Differential geometry

• Thread starter k312
  • Start date
I have been working on determining which partial derivative exists for the surface z=y. i.e. ( partial of f in respect to x, partial of f in respect to y, partial of f in resprct to z). The function f= x^2 -y-z. I think the only ones that exist would be the partial in respect to y and the partial in respect to z since the surface is z=y. Am I on the right track?

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Partial derivatives in differential geometry are always defined using a coordinate system, as in this post. What is your coordinate system?

x,y,z are the coordinates

Thanks for the post

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
x,y,z are the coordinates
"x,y,z" isn't a coordinate system. Those are just variable names that might possibly represent the components of a coordinate system on a 3-dimensional manifold. Your manifold (the surface defined by the equation z=y) is 2-dimensional.

A coordinate system on an n-dimensional manifold is a function from an open subset of the manifold into [itex]\mathbb R^n[/itex]. If this is differential geometry, you need to use a coordinate system. Did you look at the post I linked to to see how the partial derivatives are defined?

I have been working on determining which partial derivative exists for the surface z=y. i.e. ( partial of f in respect to x, partial of f in respect to y, partial of f in resprct to z). The function f= x^2 -y-z. I think the only ones that exist would be the partial in respect to y and the partial in respect to z since the surface is z=y. Am I on the right track?
Just think about it, k312: would the limit quotient make sense in your standard surface.?
What would we mean, by e.g., ||h||->0 , etc. This is why , when we work with manifolds,
most of the work is done in R^n and then brought back/ pulled back into the manifold,
as Fredrik described, by using charts.