Differential modulo another differential

In summary, the conversation discusses an odd derivation d and its relationship to another differential d'. The first condition states that d must define a derivative on H*(d') by satisfying certain criteria. The second condition ensures that d is a differential by showing that d^2 equals zero. The conversation also mentions the book "Quantization of gauge systems" by Henneaux and Teitelboim, specifically chapter 8 on BRST. The speaker is having trouble understanding how d becomes a derivation on H*(d') and how it becomes nilpotent.
astros
Hello,

One says that an odd derivation d is a differential modulo another differential d' if this two things hold:

[d,d']=0
d^2=-[d',d"] for some d"

- The first condition says that d defines a derivative on H*(d'), but how? To have a well-defined action of this derivation on H*(d') we must have:
dx belongs to H*(d') whenever x belongs to H*(d') i.e: d'(dx)=0 & dx#d'y for every y
- d'(dx)=-dd'x=0 OK
- How to show the second one?

- The second condition says that d is indeed a differential i.e: d^2=0 in H*(d') but for x belongs to H*(d') we have:
d^2x=-d'd"x-d"d'x=-d'd"x ?, How does it vanish?
Thanks for every help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Off-topic: do you study BRST ?

On-topic, see the book of Henneaux and Teitelboim "Quantization of gauge systems", chapter # 8, page # 173.

Hi,
Yes I'm studying BRST
This book is precisely what I read now but I did not understand this section!
The problem is how the derivation d becomes a derivation on H*(d') by means of the first condition? an after that becomes nilpotent by means of the seconde condition?

1. What is the definition of differential modulo another differential?

The differential modulo another differential, also known as the remainder of a differential, is the result of dividing one differential by another differential. It is the part that is left over after dividing the first differential by the second differential.

2. How is differential modulo another differential calculated?

To calculate the differential modulo another differential, you can use the formula:
Remainder = Dividend - (Divisor * Quotient)

3. What is the significance of using differential modulo another differential in mathematics?

Differential modulo another differential is often used in mathematics to find the remainder of a division problem. It can also be used to prove certain theorems and solve mathematical equations.

4. Can differential modulo another differential be negative?

Yes, the differential modulo another differential can be negative if the remainder is smaller than the divisor. In this case, the remainder will be the difference between the divisor and the absolute value of the remainder.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential modulo another differential?

Differential modulo another differential has practical applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate interest rates, determine the length of time it takes for a project to be completed, and solve optimization problems.