1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential operator

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    why is the answer to a differential operator the same as the answer to the original O.D.E. equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That question doesn't even makes sense. A "differential operator" is neither an equation not a "problem" and doesn't have an answer!

Could you please rephrase your question.

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think he means the "fundamental solution" of the differential operator. :rolleyes:

Daniel.

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    for example:
    (D^2-d-2)y=0
    if you solve D, which is D=2,-1
    it's the same as solving the equation~

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the light of your latest discoveries, your question still doesn't make too much sense.

Daniel.

7. Oct 19, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, I would argue that that doesn't make sense either- an operator is not an equation. An equation may have a solution, but not the operator!

Okay, I can understand that, although your terminology is still odd!
    I presume you are referring to the differential equation:
    (D2- D- 2)y= 0 where "D" is the differential operator d/dx (or d/dt). D2- D- 2 would also be a linear differential operator.

However, solving the equation D2- D- 2= 0 to get D= 2 or D= -1 is what mathematicians call "abuse of terminology". If you intend D to be "d/dx", it clearly doesn't make sense to turn around and say that D= 2!
    It is, though, convenient shorthand and we do it all the time. It is convenient shorthand for the "characteristic equation". If we were to look for a solution of the form [itex]y= e^{\lambda x}[/itex], putting that into the equation would give [itex]\lambda^2 e^{\lambda x}- \lambda e^{\lambda x}- 2e^{\lambda x}= 0[/itex] or [itex]\left(\lambda^2- \lambda- 2\right)e^{\lambda x}= 0[/itex]. Since [itex]y= e^{\lambda x}[/itex] is never 0, we must have [itex]\lambda^2- \lambda- 2= 0[/itex], the characteristic equation.
    That "looks like" the original equation, especially in operator notation (which is the main reason for using it) because of that very nice property of exponentials:
    [tex]\frac{d^n(e^{\lambda x}}{dx^n}= \lambda^n e^{\lambda x}[/tex]

Caution!! This is only true for a very limited (though important) class of differential equations: linear equations with constant coefficients.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  8. Oct 19, 2005 #7
    sorry, i didn't make myself clear~
    for the example above, usually the normal way is to suppose that
    y=ce^(namda)x
    and find namda
    but the answer to namda is the same as finding the answer to the differential operator~

9. Oct 21, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that was what I just said. Oh, by the way, the Greek letter is "lambda", not "nambda".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?