Understanding Differential Operators and their Relationship to O.D.E. Equations

In summary, the answer to the differential operator is the same as the answer to the original O.D.E. equation because they both involve solving for y.
asdf1
why is the answer to a differential operator the same as the answer to the original O.D.E. equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
That question doesn't even makes sense. A "differential operator" is neither an equation not a "problem" and doesn't have an answer!

Could you please rephrase your question.

I think he means the "fundamental solution" of the differential operator. :rolleyes:

Daniel.

for example:
(D^2-d-2)y=0
if you solve D, which is D=2,-1
it's the same as solving the equation~

In the light of your latest discoveries, your question still doesn't make too much sense.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I think he means the "fundamental solution" of the differential operator. :rolleyes:
Daniel.
Actually, I would argue that that doesn't make sense either- an operator is not an equation. An equation may have a solution, but not the operator!

asdf1 said:
for example:
(D^2-d-2)y=0
if you solve D, which is D=2,-1

Okay, I can understand that, although your terminology is still odd!
I presume you are referring to the differential equation:
(D2- D- 2)y= 0 where "D" is the differential operator d/dx (or d/dt). D2- D- 2 would also be a linear differential operator.

However, solving the equation D2- D- 2= 0 to get D= 2 or D= -1 is what mathematicians call "abuse of terminology". If you intend D to be "d/dx", it clearly doesn't make sense to turn around and say that D= 2!
It is, though, convenient shorthand and we do it all the time. It is convenient shorthand for the "characteristic equation". If we were to look for a solution of the form [itex]y= e^{\lambda x}[/itex], putting that into the equation would give [itex]\lambda^2 e^{\lambda x}- \lambda e^{\lambda x}- 2e^{\lambda x}= 0[/itex] or [itex]\left(\lambda^2- \lambda- 2\right)e^{\lambda x}= 0[/itex]. Since [itex]y= e^{\lambda x}[/itex] is never 0, we must have [itex]\lambda^2- \lambda- 2= 0[/itex], the characteristic equation.
That "looks like" the original equation, especially in operator notation (which is the main reason for using it) because of that very nice property of exponentials:
[tex]\frac{d^n(e^{\lambda x}}{dx^n}= \lambda^n e^{\lambda x}[/tex]

Caution! This is only true for a very limited (though important) class of differential equations: linear equations with constant coefficients.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, i didn't make myself clear~
for the example above, usually the normal way is to suppose that
y=ce^(namda)x
and find namda
but the answer to namda is the same as finding the answer to the differential operator~

Yes, that was what I just said. Oh, by the way, the Greek letter is "lambda", not "nambda".

Related to Understanding Differential Operators and their Relationship to O.D.E. Equations

What is a differential operator?

A differential operator is a mathematical operator that operates on a function to produce another function. It is often represented by symbols such as ∂, d/dx, or Δ, and it involves taking derivatives or differences of the function being operated on.

What is the purpose of using a differential operator?

Differential operators are used in many areas of mathematics and science to describe relationships between variables and to solve differential equations. They are especially useful in physics, engineering, and other fields where there are dynamic systems that can change over time.

What is the difference between a differential operator and a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical operation that gives the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. A differential operator, on the other hand, is a symbol or expression that represents this operation. In other words, a differential operator is a shorthand way of writing a derivative.

What are some common types of differential operators?

Some common types of differential operators include the gradient, divergence, and curl operators in vector calculus, the Laplace operator in differential geometry, and the partial derivative operator in multivariable calculus.

How are differential operators used in real-world applications?

Differential operators are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as modeling physical systems like fluid flow or heat transfer, analyzing financial markets, and understanding the behavior of biological systems. They are also essential in the development of technologies such as computer graphics, signal processing, and machine learning.