Understanding Differential Equations: Exploring Relations between Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the terminology and classification of a relation between two functions, one being the derivative of the other. The question arises whether this can be considered a differential equation, and the response is that this view is too narrow as differential equations can also involve systems of equations.
tomizzo
Hello,

I have a question that is relevant to differential equations. Say for example I have two functions that are related to one anothers derivatives. For example, the voltage acrossed an inductor is proportional to the rate of change of current through that inductor.

My question for you is, what exactly is the terminolgy for something like this? In the most general form, it is relation between two functions. But would you classify this as a differential equation? I had thought that differential equations are restricted to only relating derivatives of the same function.

So I suppose in my example case, if I were to feed a specific voltage across the inductor, I would eliminate the arbitrary voltage function would allow the relationship to be classified as a differential equation. However, I'm curious if there is a more specific name for something like this...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 570
Physics news on Phys.org
The brief answer is that your view of differential equations is too narrow. For example, the simplest DE is:

##\frac{dy}{dt} = f(t)##

Your equation appears to be of this form.

Just as you can have "systems of equations" of numbers, so you can have systems of differential equations.

For example, you can have a system of equations of the form [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}= 3\frac{dy}{dt}+ 3x- 2y[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}= 3x- 4y[/itex].

1. What is a differential relation?

A differential relation is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the rates of change of two or more variables.

2. How is a differential relation different from an algebraic equation?

A differential relation involves derivatives, which represent the instantaneous rate of change of a variable, while an algebraic equation only involves the variables themselves.

3. Can you give an example of a differential relation?

One example of a differential relation is Newton's second law of motion, which relates the acceleration of an object to the net force acting on it.

4. Why are differential relations important in science?

Differential relations allow scientists to model and understand the behavior of complex systems and phenomena, such as the motion of objects, growth of populations, or chemical reactions.

5. How do scientists use differential relations in their research?

Scientists use differential relations to create mathematical models of real-world systems, which can then be used to make predictions and analyze data. They also use differential equations to develop theories and test hypotheses about the underlying mechanisms of natural phenomena.