1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential Topology: 1-dimensional manifold

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given S1={(x,y) in R2: x2+y2=1}. Show that S1 is a 1-dimensional manifold.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let f1:(-1,1)->S1 s.t. f1(x)=(x,(1-x2)1/2).

This mapping is a diffeomorphism from (-1,1) onto the top half of the circle S1.
    I was trying to write a prove that f1 is indeed a diffeomorphism, but I am having trouble showing the onto part.

I argued that f1 is onto by defining the inverse map and showing that the inverse map is 1 to 1 and hence f1 is onto.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    To show that a map [tex]\phi: A \to B[/tex] is onto (surjective), you need only show that for every [tex]b\in B[/tex], there is [tex]a \in A[/tex] such that [tex]\phi(a) = b[/tex]. So, for each point [tex](x, y)[/tex] on the top half of [tex]S^1[/tex] (be careful about your definition of "top half"), just exhibit a point [tex]\xi \in (-1, 1)[/tex] with [tex]f_1(\xi) = (x, y)[/tex]. Your definition makes this easy.

This is confused. Again take a map [tex]\phi: A \to B[/tex]; the existence of an inverse map [tex]\phi^{-1}: B \to A[/tex] presupposes that [tex]\phi[/tex] is bijective. Remember that a function is always defined over its entire domain; the existence of [tex]\phi^{-1}(b)[/tex] means that there is some [tex]a[/tex] such that [tex]\phi(a) = b[/tex].

You should expect the harder part of this to be showing that [tex]f_1[/tex] and its inverse are smooth, not showing that [tex]f_1[/tex] is bijective.

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    Ok, let [tex](x,y) \in S^1[/tex] choose [tex]\xi \in(-1,1)[/tex] s.t. [tex]f_1(\xi) = (x, y)[/tex]. This implies [tex]\xi =x[/tex].

By the top half of the circle I am excluding the end points at -1 and 1.

To show that [tex]f_1[/tex] is smooth I need to show that it has continuous partial derivatives of all orders. So I computed the Jacobian matrix of [tex]f_1[/tex] and observe that it is continuous in the domain [tex](-1,1)[/tex].

What I dont know how to prove is why all the partial derivatives exists and are continuous? I observed that all I need to prove is that the function [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] is infinitely differentiable on [tex](-1,1)[/tex].

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4
    The composition of smooth functions is smooth; that should simplify your job.

6. Feb 5, 2010 #5
    So, suppose I decompose [tex]\phi (x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] into two functions, namely, [tex]g(x)=1-x^2[/tex] which is definitely smooth everywhere and [tex]h(x)=\sqrt{x}[/tex] which is not smooth at the origin. But, I notice that it is difficult to decompose [tex]\phi (x)[/tex] into two smooth functions. Can I conclude that [tex]\phi (x)[/tex] is not smooth if it cannot be written as a decomposition of smooth functions.

7. Feb 6, 2010 #6
    Look more closely; for your purposes, does it matter that the square root function is not smooth at the origin?

8. Feb 6, 2010 #7
    I see what you mean. The range of [tex]1-x^2[/tex] is [tex](0,1)[/tex] on the domain [tex](-1,1)[/tex]. Thank you.

9. Feb 7, 2010 #8
    Actually [tex](0, 1][/tex], but you got the idea.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook