Differential Topology: 1-dimensional manifold

In summary, the homework statement is that given a 1-dimensional manifold S1, f1 is a 1-to-1 map from (-1,1) onto the top half of the circle S1. The existence of an inverse map f_1_1 indicates that f1 is onto. However, the proof of f1's smoothness is difficult because it is not possible to decompose it into two smooth functions.
lmedin02

Homework Statement

Given S1={(x,y) in R2: x2+y2=1}. Show that S1 is a 1-dimensional manifold.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f1:(-1,1)->S1 s.t. f1(x)=(x,(1-x2)1/2).

This mapping is a diffeomorphism from (-1,1) onto the top half of the circle S1.
I was trying to write a prove that f1 is indeed a diffeomorphism, but I am having trouble showing the onto part.

I argued that f1 is onto by defining the inverse map and showing that the inverse map is 1 to 1 and hence f1 is onto.

Physics news on Phys.org
lmedin02 said:
This mapping is a diffeomorphism from (-1,1) onto the top half of the circle S1.
I was trying to write a prove that f1 is indeed a diffeomorphism, but I am having trouble showing the onto part.

To show that a map [tex]\phi: A \to B[/tex] is onto (surjective), you need only show that for every [tex]b\in B[/tex], there is [tex]a \in A[/tex] such that [tex]\phi(a) = b[/tex]. So, for each point [tex](x, y)[/tex] on the top half of [tex]S^1[/tex] (be careful about your definition of "top half"), just exhibit a point [tex]\xi \in (-1, 1)[/tex] with [tex]f_1(\xi) = (x, y)[/tex]. Your definition makes this easy.

lmedin02 said:
I argued that f1 is onto by defining the inverse map and showing that the inverse map is 1 to 1 and hence f1 is onto.

This is confused. Again take a map [tex]\phi: A \to B[/tex]; the existence of an inverse map [tex]\phi^{-1}: B \to A[/tex] presupposes that [tex]\phi[/tex] is bijective. Remember that a function is always defined over its entire domain; the existence of [tex]\phi^{-1}(b)[/tex] means that there is some [tex]a[/tex] such that [tex]\phi(a) = b[/tex].

You should expect the harder part of this to be showing that [tex]f_1[/tex] and its inverse are smooth, not showing that [tex]f_1[/tex] is bijective.

ystael said:
To show that a map [tex]\phi: A \to B[/tex] is onto (surjective), you need only show that for every [tex]b\in B[/tex], there is [tex]a \in A[/tex] such that [tex]\phi(a) = b[/tex]. So, for each point [tex](x, y)[/tex] on the top half of [tex]S^1[/tex] (be careful about your definition of "top half"), just exhibit a point [tex]\xi \in (-1, 1)[/tex] with [tex]f_1(\xi) = (x, y)[/tex]. Your definition makes this easy.

Ok, let [tex](x,y) \in S^1[/tex] choose [tex]\xi \in(-1,1)[/tex] s.t. [tex]f_1(\xi) = (x, y)[/tex]. This implies [tex]\xi =x[/tex].

By the top half of the circle I am excluding the end points at -1 and 1.

To show that [tex]f_1[/tex] is smooth I need to show that it has continuous partial derivatives of all orders. So I computed the Jacobian matrix of [tex]f_1[/tex] and observe that it is continuous in the domain [tex](-1,1)[/tex].

What I don't know how to prove is why all the partial derivatives exists and are continuous? I observed that all I need to prove is that the function [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] is infinitely differentiable on [tex](-1,1)[/tex].

The composition of smooth functions is smooth; that should simplify your job.

So, suppose I decompose [tex]\phi (x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] into two functions, namely, [tex]g(x)=1-x^2[/tex] which is definitely smooth everywhere and [tex]h(x)=\sqrt{x}[/tex] which is not smooth at the origin. But, I notice that it is difficult to decompose [tex]\phi (x)[/tex] into two smooth functions. Can I conclude that [tex]\phi (x)[/tex] is not smooth if it cannot be written as a decomposition of smooth functions.

Look more closely; for your purposes, does it matter that the square root function is not smooth at the origin?

I see what you mean. The range of [tex]1-x^2[/tex] is [tex](0,1)[/tex] on the domain [tex](-1,1)[/tex]. Thank you.

Actually [tex](0, 1][/tex], but you got the idea.

1. What is a 1-dimensional manifold in differential topology?

A 1-dimensional manifold in differential topology is a geometric object that can be locally approximated by a line. It is also known as a curve or a 1-manifold. In simpler terms, it is a one-dimensional object that can be smoothly curved or bent without any sudden changes or sharp corners.

2. How is a 1-dimensional manifold different from a regular curve?

A regular curve is a mathematical object that can be represented by a single parametric equation, while a 1-dimensional manifold is a more general concept that allows for more complex and varied shapes. A 1-dimensional manifold can be defined by multiple parametric equations and can have more intricate topological properties, such as being able to wrap around itself or have multiple connected components.

3. What are some examples of 1-dimensional manifolds?

Some common examples of 1-dimensional manifolds include circles, ellipses, and parabolas in two-dimensional space, as well as helices, spirals, and knots in three-dimensional space. In fact, any smooth curve in any dimension can be considered a 1-dimensional manifold.

4. How is the concept of a 1-dimensional manifold useful in real-world applications?

The study of 1-dimensional manifolds is essential in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and robotics. For instance, in physics, 1-dimensional manifolds are used to model the path of a particle in motion, while in robotics, they are used to plan the trajectory of a robot arm. In computer graphics, they are used to create smooth and realistic curves in digital animation and design.

5. Can a 1-dimensional manifold have boundaries?

Yes, a 1-dimensional manifold can have boundaries, which are points or curves that are not included in the manifold itself but are instead considered as part of its boundary. For example, a circle can be considered a 1-dimensional manifold with a single boundary point, while a line segment can be considered a 1-dimensional manifold with two boundary points.