Differential vs derivative explained

In summary: Differential geometry is the study of manifolds, and the derivative form is the simplest way to describe the change in a function over time on a manifold.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

Really there is no problem to go with this question just something that I was discussing awhile back but was never really cleared up, what is the difference between:

[tex] d(\int^{x}_{a} f(t)dt) = f(x) dx [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\int^{x}_{a} f(t) dt = f(x) [/tex]

I understand that the top equation is called the differential form and the bottom is the derivative form and really that's about it. I was told that they were different by a factor of dx such that:

[tex] df = \frac{d}{dx}*dx [/tex]

but I really don't understand how that makes any difference because if dx is infinitely small how does that affect the answer of the problem?

This arose from the book that I am using introducing The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus with the differential form and not the derivative form which evidently is the norm. I really just want a little clarification on this issue and apologize in advance if this is something quite obvious.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to give an answers as the definitions are quite complex. They're the basic tools of differential geometry.

Ok let me rephrase then, is it at all important for me to know the difference when learning elementary calculus?

No, I never learned about differential until I was doing a masters course. If your calculus book if telling you about differentials, get another book.

ok well your reply implies that it somehow effects my answers even on basic equations in calculus to use differential definitions over derivative, is that what you meant? If not then why should I get a different book if comes out the same?

Just use the definition:
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx}\Bigg|_{x=a}=f'(a)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}
[/tex]
this is what you seem to be calling the derivative form. Everything follows from the equation above. Don't worry about differentials.

ok, that is the very definition that my book illustrates but without the use of limits which are subbed for hyperreal numbers. Also I called that form the derivative form because either Dick or Mark44 called it that, is that not right?

I have never heard it called anything but the derivative.

Related to Differential vs derivative explained

1. What is the difference between differential and derivative?

Differential and derivative are two mathematical concepts commonly used in calculus. A differential refers to an infinitesimal change in a variable or function, while a derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable.

2. How are differential and derivative related?

Differential and derivative are closely related concepts, as the derivative is defined as the limit of the ratio of two differentials. In other words, the derivative is the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

3. What is the purpose of using differential and derivative?

Differential and derivative are useful tools in mathematics and science for analyzing and understanding the behavior of functions. They allow us to calculate rates of change, find maximum and minimum points, and solve optimization problems.

4. Can you give an example of how differential and derivative are used in real life?

One example of how differential and derivative are used in real life is in physics, where they are used to calculate the acceleration of an object with respect to time, given its position and velocity. This information is crucial for understanding the motion of objects in the world around us.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential and derivative?

While differential and derivative are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be defined or meaningful for certain functions, such as those with discontinuities or sharp corners. Additionally, they may not provide accurate results for highly complex functions.