Differentiating Trig Homework: Find Uncertainty in Measured Angle

In summary, you should use the derivative of inverse sine to differentiate between theta and hypothenus.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

we have been doing some error analysis in school, but they were very straight forward for example. centripetal acceleration : Fc = 4pi^2 m R / T^2

however, for my project i must find the uncertainty in the angle that i measured.
the angle is formed by a cardboard sitting on pile of books creating a triangle.
Hypothenus = 33cm
Height = Variable ( Changes according to the stack of the book)

please help ! differentiate theta = inverseSin(Opposite/Hypothenus)

Homework Equations

theta = inverseSin(Opposite/Hypothenus)

The Attempt at a Solution

well since i measurd these distances with a ruler

the uncertainty for hypothenus would be +- 0.005m (last half digit of a number)
and the uncertainty for heght is the same + - 0.005m (last half dight of a number)

how do i use these to differentiate for one another?
which formurla woudl i use pleaes help !

Physics news on Phys.org
i see that it is 1 ove squareroot of 1 minus x^2.
but at my level of physics and calculus that is just different language to me.
how can x be represented by (Opposite over hypothenus) ??
how will i differentiate them? HELP !

To do error analysis, you write the whole equation in terms of differentials; you don't differentiate with respect to anything. Here's an example:

if 2x=y^2 and you differentiate both sides, you'd get 2dx=2ydy. Don't write it as dx/dy=y or dy/dx=1/y.

For theta = inverseSin(Opposite/Hypothenus), you should get:

d(theta)=1/sqrt(1-(o/h)^2) * derivative of o/h

What do you get?

hmm. 1*sqrt(1-(o/h)^-2)
you would get negative exponent.

is this correct so far? please guide me along the way.
i would like to learn this by tom ~ help

I don't get why it's 1*sqrt(1-(o/h)^-2). The derivative of inverse sine is 1/sqrt(1-x^2), so the first step in deriving theta = inverseSin(Opposite/Hypothenus) is 1/sqrt(1-(o/h)^2).

After that, derive o/h. The answer would be (do*h + o*dh)/h^2, following the quotient rule. do and dh are the errors in the measured lengths and d(theta) is the error in the angle.

so d(theta) = (do*h + o*dh)/h^2

hmm.. do i sub in the numbers and that is the total uncertainty for theta?
lets say i got 12 degrees from measuring sides with ruler and, after using the above equation i would write

12 degrees + - (do*h + o*dh)/h^2
would this be correct??

but in my pratice sheet which is totally different than trig we have

dF/dPi = 8PimR/T^2 from F = 4Pi^2mR/T^2

and so on with all the other variables...

but with this triangle is this it?
or do i have to differentiate further.. please HELP !

1. What is the purpose of finding uncertainty in measured angles?

The purpose of finding uncertainty in measured angles is to determine the range of possible values for the angle that accounts for errors in measurement. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the measured angle.

2. How is uncertainty in measured angles calculated?

Uncertainty in measured angles is typically calculated using the standard error formula, which takes into account the standard deviation of the measurements and the number of measurements taken. This formula is then used to determine the range of possible values for the angle.

3. What factors can affect the uncertainty in measured angles?

There are several factors that can affect the uncertainty in measured angles, such as the precision of the measuring instrument, human error in reading the instrument, and environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, vibration) that can impact the measurement.

4. How can uncertainty in measured angles be minimized?

To minimize uncertainty in measured angles, it is important to use precise measuring instruments and to take multiple measurements to account for any variations. It is also helpful to carefully calibrate the measuring instrument and to minimize any external factors that could impact the measurement.

5. How does uncertainty in measured angles impact the overall results of a trigonometry problem?

The uncertainty in measured angles can impact the overall results of a trigonometry problem by introducing a range of possible values for the angle, which can affect the accuracy of the final calculation. It is important to account for this uncertainty in order to obtain more precise and reliable results.