Differentiation find the gradient of the curve Problem

In summary: Find the derivative at x=0 and you'll have point B.In summary,The problem is finding the value of the derivative of the equation x^3-12x+17.
tigerd12
The problem

The Diagram shows the graph of y=x^3-12x+17
A is the maximum point on the curve
C is the minimum point on the curve
The curve crosses the y-axis at B

For the equation find dy/dx, y=x^3-12x+17 (DONE)

Heres the problem

find the gradient of the curve at B

now what am I supposed to do here?

this is what i tried but I am not sure if its right

3x^2-12=17

make x the subject therefore giving

x=[tex]\sqrt{}29/3[/tex]

so is that right or..?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For b) you need to find the value of the derivative at the point B. What are the coordinates of the point B ?

im guessing the coordinates at point B are (0,17), but how does that help me in finding the gradient at that point

tigerd12 said:
The problem

The Diagram shows the graph of y=x^3-12x+17
A is the maximum point on the curve
C is the minimum point on the curve
The curve crosses the y-axis at B

For the equation find dy/dx, y=x^3-12x+17 (DONE)

Heres the problem

find the gradient of the curve at B

now what am I supposed to do here?

this is what i tried but I am not sure if its right

3x^2-12=17
I presume you found that the derivative is 3x^2- 12. By why are you asserting that the derivative is 17? You are supposed to be finding the value of the derivative!

make x the subject therefore giving

x=[tex]\sqrt{}29/3[/tex]

so is that right or..?

No, it's not right- you weren't even asked for a value of x!

You know that f'(x)= 3x^2- 12. You are asked to find its value at point B. Of course, to do that you need to know what x is there. Saying the graph crosses the x-axis tells you that y= 0. Okay y= x^3- 12x+ 17= 0. Can you determine what x is from that?

HallsofIvy said:
You know that f'(x)= 3x^2- 12. You are asked to find its value at point B. Of course, to do that you need to know what x is there. Saying the graph crosses the x-axis tells you that y= 0. Okay y= x^3- 12x+ 17= 0. Can you determine what x is from that?

Sorry, I don't seem to be understand what you are saying. Do you want me to find the solutions of the equation x^3-12x+17?

Remember. The curve crosses y-axis at point B. So you know the y = 0 but you have to find the x-value for the point B:

In other words. B = (x,0)

Also, you know that f'(x) = 3x^2-12

Let f'(x) = 0 and then find a value for x. Then you have got point B! :)

tigerd12 said:
Sorry, I don't seem to be understand what you are saying. Do you want me to find the solutions of the equation x^3-12x+17?
Yes, that's exactly what I said! Then find the derivative at that value of x.

danni7070 said:
Remember. The curve crosses y-axis at point B. So you know the y = 0 but you have to find the x-value for the point B:

In other words. B = (x,0)

Also, you know that f'(x) = 3x^2-12

Let f'(x) = 0 and then find a value for x. Then you have got point B! :)
?? No, the curve is y= f(x), not y= f'(x).

FAQ: Differentiation find the gradient of the curve Problem

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is used to calculate the slope or gradient of a curve at a given point.

2. How do you find the gradient of a curve?

To find the gradient of a curve, you need to take the derivative of the function at a specific point. This can be done using various differentiation rules, such as the power rule, product rule, or chain rule.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation tells us the slope of a curve, while integration tells us the total value of a curve.

4. Why is differentiation important in science?

Differentiation is important in science because it helps us understand how quantities change over time. It is used in many fields of science, such as physics, biology, and economics, to analyze and model real-world phenomena.

5. Can differentiation be applied to any type of function?

Yes, differentiation can be applied to any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, some functions may require more complex differentiation rules to find their gradients.

Back