Difficult coupled DE system.

In summary, a "Difficult coupled DE system" refers to a set of interconnected differential equations that are challenging to solve individually. They require a combination of analytical and numerical methods, and have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. The uniqueness of their solutions can be difficult to determine, and computer programs can be used to solve them, but the accuracy and reliability of the solutions depend on the methods and parameters used.
charlottewill
We've been asked to solve this system of equations

dW/dt = = αW−βV
dV dt = −γV+δW

by proposing that

W (t) = A sin(ωt) + B cos(ωt)
V (t) = C sin(ωt) + D cos(ωt).

so I've differentiated both W(t) and V(t) to give W'(t) = ωA cos(ωt) - ωB sin(wt) and V'(t) = ωC cos(ωt) - ωD sin(wt) and replaced with the dW/dt and dV/dt in the system to give the expressions

ωA cos(ωt) - ωB sin(wt) = αW−βV

ωC cos(ωt) - ωD sin(wt) = −γV+δWand now I've replaced the W and V's on the RHS with W (t) = A sin(ωt) + B cos(ωt)
V (t) = C sin(ωt) + D cos(ωt) (originally given in the question) and I've factored out the constant and the parameters of cos(ωt) and sin (ωt) to give two simultaneous equations equal to zero which are

(ωA-αB+βD) cos(ωt) + (βC-αA-ωB) sin(ωt) = 0

(ωC+γD-δB) cos(ωt) + (γC-ωD-δA) sin(ωt) = 0

So how do I find the value of the constants A,B,C and D in terms of the parameters α,β,γ,δ ω?

Please can somebody help me :(

Thanks,

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Difficult System help please :(

charlottewill said:
We've been asked to solve this system of equations

dW/dt = = αW−βV
dV dt = −γV+δW

by proposing that

W (t) = A sin(ωt) + B cos(ωt)
V (t) = C sin(ωt) + D cos(ωt).

so I've differentiated both W(t) and V(t) to give W'(t) = ωA cos(ωt) - ωB sin(wt) and V'(t) = ωC cos(ωt) - ωD sin(wt) and replaced with the dW/dt and dV/dt in the system to give the expressions

ωA cos(ωt) - ωB sin(wt) = αW−βV

ωC cos(ωt) - ωD sin(wt) = −γV+δWand now I've replaced the W and V's on the RHS with W (t) = A sin(ωt) + B cos(ωt)
V (t) = C sin(ωt) + D cos(ωt) (originally given in the question) and I've factored out the constant and the parameters of cos(ωt) and sin (ωt) to give two simultaneous equations equal to zero which are

(ωA-αB+βD) cos(ωt) + (βC-αA-ωB) sin(ωt) = 0

(ωC+γD-δB) cos(ωt) + (γC-ωD-δA) sin(ωt) = 0

So how do I find the value of the constants A,B,C and D in terms of the parameters α,β,γ,δ ω?
That last line should read: So how do I find the value of the constants A,B,C, D and ω in terms of the parameters α,β,γ,δ? In other words, ω is not one of the fixed parameters, it is up for grabs along with A,B,C and D.

Next, you want those two equations to hold for all values of t. The only way for that to happen is if all those coefficients of cos(ωt) and sin(ωt) are zero. Thus you are looking at the system of equations $$\begin{aligned}\omega A - \alpha B \phantom{{}+\gamma C} +\beta D &=0 \\ -\alpha A -\omega B +\beta C \phantom{{}+\gamma C} &=0 \\ -\delta B + \omega C + \gamma D &=0 \\ -\delta A \phantom{{}+\gamma B} +\gamma C -\omega D &=0. \end{aligned}$$

The is a set of four homogeneous linear equations in A,B,C and D, so normally the only solution will be when they are all 0. But for some values of the (variable) parameter $\omega$ there will be a nontrivial solution.

The details of solving that set of equations look a bit gruesome, but it looks as though that is what you are expected to do.

1. What is a "Difficult coupled DE system"?

A "Difficult coupled DE system" refers to a set of differential equations that are interconnected or dependent on each other, making it challenging to solve them individually. These types of systems often arise in complex scientific models and require advanced mathematical techniques to find solutions.

2. How do you solve a "Difficult coupled DE system"?

Solving a "Difficult coupled DE system" requires a combination of analytical and numerical methods. First, the equations must be carefully analyzed to determine their structure and any potential simplifications. Then, advanced numerical techniques, such as numerical integration or iterative methods, can be used to approximate a solution. In some cases, a fully analytical solution may not be possible, and numerical simulations may be necessary.

3. What are some common applications of "Difficult coupled DE systems"?

"Difficult coupled DE systems" have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used to model complex physical systems, such as chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and biological processes. They can also be applied to social and economic systems, such as population dynamics and market behavior.

4. How do you know if a "Difficult coupled DE system" has a unique solution?

Determining the uniqueness of a solution for a "Difficult coupled DE system" can be a challenging task. In general, uniqueness depends on the initial conditions and the behavior of the system over time. In some cases, it may be possible to prove uniqueness mathematically, while in others, it may require numerical simulations to determine if multiple solutions exist.

5. Can "Difficult coupled DE systems" be solved with computer programs?

Yes, computer programs can be used to solve "Difficult coupled DE systems." These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions and can handle complex systems with many interconnected equations. However, the accuracy and reliability of the solutions depend on the quality of the numerical methods and the input parameters used in the programs.