Difficult differential equation

In summary, the speaker is asking for a method to solve a differential equation for y as a function of x, with the given constants. The suggested method is separation of variables, but the speaker clarifies that they want y as an explicit function of x, not the other way around. They also mention that the inverse of the function may not be easily obtained, potentially indicating that there may not be a unique solution for y(x). They conclude that separation of variables is still the best approach for solving this equation.
JulieK
I have the following differential equation which I want to solve for [itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{C_{1}\left(C_{5}y+C_{6}\right)^{2}}{C_{2}\left(C_{3}y+C_{4}\right)-C_{7}\left(C_{5}y+C_{6}\right)^{6}}[/itex]

where [itex]C_{1},C_{2},C_{3},C_{4},C_{5},C_{6},C_{7}[/itex] are constants.
Can anyone suggest a method for solving this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
separation of variables should do.

Likes 1 person
I want y as an explicit function of x not the other way round.
The separation and integration will produce x as a function of y which is not very useful for my purpose.

You will get [itex]x[/itex] as a function of [itex]y[/itex], say [itex]f(y) = x[/itex]. Then you can try and find the inverse to get [itex]y[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex], i.e. [itex]y = f^{-1}(x)[/itex]. There are a few things that can go wrong. If [itex]f[/itex] is not invertible then that tells you that there is no unique solution [itex]y(x)[/itex] to the differential equation. Otherwise, another thing that can go wrong is the inverse cannot be written down in terms of elementary functions.

So separation of variables is still the right (only?) approach. It won't change any of the facts above ([itex]f[/itex] invertible and inverse can be written down).

I understand the difficulty of solving complex differential equations. In order to solve this particular equation, we can try using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods approximate the solution by breaking the equation into smaller steps and calculating the value of y at each step. Another approach could be to use separation of variables, where we separate the equation into two separate equations and then integrate them to find the solution. However, this method may not always be possible for complex equations. Additionally, we could also try using computer software such as MATLAB or Mathematica to solve the equation numerically or symbolically. These software programs have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for solving differential equations. Ultimately, the best method for solving this equation will depend on the specific constants and initial conditions, and it may require a combination of approaches.

Related to Difficult differential equation

1. What is a "difficult differential equation"?

A difficult differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves derivatives, or the rate of change, of a variable with respect to another variable. These equations can be challenging to solve due to their complexity and the lack of a straightforward solution method.

2. What makes a differential equation difficult?

There are several factors that can make a differential equation difficult, including its order (the highest derivative involved), the type of equations (e.g. linear or nonlinear), and the boundary or initial conditions that must be satisfied. Additionally, the complexity of the equation itself and the techniques required to solve it can also contribute to its difficulty.

3. How can I solve a difficult differential equation?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for solving difficult differential equations. However, some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, use of integrating factors, and series solutions. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of calculus and algebra to approach these equations.

4. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they are used to model and describe many natural phenomena, such as population growth, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. They provide a way to mathematically represent these processes and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Can I use a computer to solve difficult differential equations?

Yes, computers can be used to solve difficult differential equations, particularly those that cannot be solved analytically. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, can be programmed into a computer to approximate solutions to these equations. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques involved in solving differential equations.