1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult integration: e^u(x^2)

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the function g(x)=e^u(x) where u(x) = -(1-x^2)^(-1). I have to integrate this from -1 to 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the function is symmetric. It is enough to integrate it from 0 to 1 to get the real value of the integral. Well, beside that I have absolutely no clue how to do that. I need this in order to construct out of it a Dirac function. But my first task, as the homework states, is to solve this integral. (I tried to substitute something (but failed) and after that I wanted to use the Cauchy Integral Formule (extend the function to complex plane), but this didn't work either (because I couldn't get it in a appropriate form, as for the CIF needed)).

So I would be very pleased if someone can give me a hint. Perhaps a little bit more than a hint.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I don't think there is a way to do it. Neither does Mathematica. (Well, it gives an answer in terms of Meijer G functions, but that seems excessive.)

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    maybe somehow incorporate the chain rule?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?