Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty finding integral answer to set function

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    Note: as i was typing this post, i think i figured out the answer but i want to confirm.
    Question:
    let A denote the set of points that are interior to, or on the boundary of, a square with opposite verties at the points (0,0) and (1,1). let Q(A) = ∫∫dydx
    if C, a subset of A, is the set {(x,y): 0 < x/2 ≤ y ≤ 3x/2 < 1}, compute Q(A)

Solution:
    I kept getting 1/2 as the answer, but i think my limits of integration were wrong. is the following correct?

[itex]^{2/3}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{3x/2}_{x/2}[/itex]∫dydx

this setup gives the answer as 2/9... unfortunately i do not have the correct answer which is why i needed to verify.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is not completely clear. For x > 2/3 is anything included?
    This would involve: x/2 < y < 1.

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    Unfortunately, i typed the question verbatim and not sure how to respond to you.

note that the 2/3 upper limit on x was defined by me. I figured that y <1 (from y ≤ 3x/2 < 1). so therefor x cannot be more than 2/3, since y must also be less than 3x/2. for x> 2/3, y>1. e.g. when x=1, y=3/2.

does that make sense?

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Your condition x/2≤y≤3x/2 for x > 2/3 restricts y to x/2≤y≤1, but does not remove it altogether.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook