Difficulty solving the following question

• Thread starter skyflyer54
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving an undefined integral and potential approaches to finding a value for it. The function in question is an odd function, and it is suggested to use the Cauchy principal value for finding the integral. There is some confusion about the limits of integration and the final result, with some participants suggesting that the integral is undefined and others proposing that its value is zero. The original question is to solve the equation and prove mathematically that it is an odd function.
skyflyer54
Hi, having difficulty solving the following question.. Any1 can help me and guide me through solving it ?? or is there any good website or reference to recommand ?? Thankz alot..

Attachments

• Q1.JPG
    Q1.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral is undefined. However, if you were to define it, there's a particular value that seems pretty natural. To help you guess what that might be, notice that [itex]x(t)[/itex] is an odd function:

[tex]x(-t) = (-t)^3\cos (-10t)^3 = -t^3\cos (10t)^3 = -x(t).[/tex]

Does that help? :smile:

(the "natural" value for the integral that I'm speaking of is the Cauchy principal value)

Oh.. I only know the shortcut method but don't know whether u are referring to it or not...

I only know that 't' is odd function and cos(10t) is even function.. so multiply odd with even will give me odd function...

I'm confused is the part on how to solve it mathematically said integration by parts.. haha ...

skyflyer54 said:
Oh.. I only know the shortcut method but don't know whether u are referring to it or not...

I only know that 't' is odd function and cos(10t) is even function.. so multiply odd with even will give me odd function...

I'm confused is the part on how to solve it mathematically said integration by parts.. haha ...

To integrate that function integration by parts would work, but would probably be extremely messy, the problem you will run into is evaluating the integral since both limits will be infinite and the improper integral will be undefined as Data said above.

If you wanted to use integrate by parts you could probably set the upper and lower limits of integration to some constant [itex]\pm a[/itex]. This symmetric choice of limits will allow you to evaluate the integral by parts, by utilising the symmerty properties of the the now-integrated function to determine what cancellations occur etc. Then in the final step take the limit of [itex]|a|\to\infty[/itex].

what about contour integration?

jpr0 said:
If you wanted to use integrate by parts you could probably set the upper and lower limits of integration to some constant [itex]\pm a[/itex]. This symmetric choice of limits will allow you to evaluate the integral by parts, by utilising the symmerty properties of the the now-integrated function to determine what cancellations occur etc. Then in the final step take the limit of [itex]|a|\to\infty[/itex].

That is precisely taking the Cauchy principal value. It is trivial to see what the result will be, because x is odd.

Okie.. Thank every1 for the guide and comment given.

shouldn't the result be zero since the function is odd?

Yes, for any A,
[tex]\int_{-A}^{A} t^3 cos^3(10t)dt= 0[/tex]
so the limit as A->infinity, the "Cauchy Principal Value" would be 0. That's what everyone has been saying.

Data said that integral is undefined because the actual improper integral must be
[tex]\int_{-A}^B x^3 cos^3(10t)dt[/tex]
with A and B going to infinity independently. That is undefined.

tat true.. if the limit is from A to -A or even from Infinity to -Infinity, the result will be zero. If it is undefined, say like limit from A to B den the answer should not be zero. right ?

This question in the first place was just to solve it to be odd function using mathematical approach. kekez..

Did I said anything wrong ? If yes, pls correct mi. thankz.. heez.

skyflyer54 said:
tat true.. if the limit is from A to -A or even from Infinity to -Infinity, the result will be zero. If it is undefined, say like limit from A to B den the answer should not be zero. right ?

This question in the first place was just to solve it to be odd function using mathematical approach. kekez..

Did I said anything wrong ? If yes, pls correct mi. thankz.. heez.
Yes, the "even from infinity to -infinity" is wrong. As I said before
[tex]\int_{-\inty}^\infty f(x) dx= \lim_{A\rightarrow -\infty}\lim_{B\rightarrow \infty} \int_A^B f(x)dx[/tex]

Certainly, if an integral is "undefined", then it is not 0! The original question was to find the value of that integral if it existed. I don't know what you mean by "solve it to be odd function".

From observation, we already know that the function is an odd function, but What i mean is solve and proof it that the equation is an odd function. what i mean is solve and proof it mathematically if possible.

skyflyer54 said:
From observation, we already know that the function is an odd function, but What i mean is solve and proof it that the equation is an odd function. what i mean is solve and proof it mathematically if possible.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean. You say "What i mean is solve and proof it that the equation is an odd function" but you had just said "we already know that the function is an odd function". Prove what mathematically?
That the integral given doesn't exist?

That the Cauchy Principal Value is 0?

HallsofIvy said:
I have absolutely no idea what you mean. You say "What i mean is solve and proof it that the equation is an odd function" but you had just said "we already know that the function is an odd function". Prove what mathematically?
That the integral given doesn't exist?

That the Cauchy Principal Value is 0?

ok.. thank.. maybe i should read up cachy principal again..

1. What is "Difficulty solving the following question"?

"Difficulty solving the following question" is a common phrase used to describe the struggle or challenge individuals face when trying to find a solution to a problem or answer to a question. It can refer to a range of difficulties, such as lack of understanding, lack of resources, or mental roadblocks.

2. What are the common reasons for difficulty in solving a question?

The reasons for difficulty in solving a question can vary depending on the individual and the specific question. Some common reasons include lack of knowledge or understanding of the topic, inadequate preparation, mental blocks such as anxiety or stress, and limited resources or information.

3. How can one improve their problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills requires practice and a systematic approach. Some strategies that can help include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking out additional resources or information, collaborating with others, and applying critical thinking and analytical skills.

4. Is difficulty in solving a question a sign of intelligence?

No, difficulty in solving a question is not necessarily a sign of intelligence. It can be influenced by various factors such as prior knowledge, preparation, and approach. Some individuals may struggle with a particular question or problem, while excelling in other areas.

5. How can one overcome difficulty in solving a question?

Overcoming difficulty in solving a question requires persistence, adaptability, and a willingness to try different approaches. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from others, take breaks to clear the mind, and learn from mistakes. Ultimately, finding a solution may require time and effort, but it is achievable with determination and the right strategies.