Why is there a wavelength dependence in diffraction?

• Thread starter Glenn G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, the Huygens construction explains the behavior of diffracted waves when a plane wave passes through a gap, but it does not take into account the wavelength dependence, which is accounted for by Fresnel's modification of the mathematical description of Huygens Principle.
Glenn G
Hello community,
I'm aware of Huygens construction for helping to explain why you might possibly get diffracted waves if a plane wave passes through a gap (i.e. About the secondary wavelets and superposition bit) but the wavelength dependence bit bothers me because say one wavefront is passing through a gap why should the distance to the trailing wavefront behind the one currently passing through the gap have any impact on how much the curvature of the current wavefront changes?

Just don't get the wavelength dependence to gap. In fact I'd imagine if you sent a single plane water wave to a relatively narrow gap it would diffract on passing through the gap whether or not there was another wavefront lambda metres behind it.

Please help!

Glenn

Science news on Phys.org
Glenn G said:
Hello community,
I'm aware of Huygens construction for helping to explain why you might possibly get diffracted waves if a plane wave passes through a gap (i.e. About the secondary wavelets and superposition bit) but the wavelength dependence bit bothers me because say one wavefront is passing through a gap why should the distance to the trailing wavefront behind the one currently passing through the gap have any impact on how much the curvature of the current wavefront changes?
As far as the physical/causal "why" keep in mind that the water wave is traveling much slower than the actual speed of sound (pressure waves) in the water. So each bit of water in this process is physically affected by not only nearby disturbances but those farther away. To calculate the diffraction effect in those terms would be problematic although you could code a simulation on a computer and still see the diffaction effects if the model is finely enough resolved.

You should think of Huygen's construction and specifically of the resolution of wave behavior in terms of how sinusoidal plane waves behave as a means to systematically solve for the behavior of the general case. Rather than having to resolve the dynamics of each fluid particle you resolve the bulk motion into normal modes which, mathematically, behave independently of the other modes. Likewise with electromagnetic field propagation and quanta (although the interpretation qualitatively changes in the latter case and one is no longer describing aggregate behavior of many bodies there.)

Just don't get the wavelength dependence to gap. In fact I'd imagine if you sent a single plane water wave to a relatively narrow gap it would diffract on passing through the gap whether or not there was another wavefront lambda metres behind it.
You shouldn't think in terms of "diffracting or not diffracting" both cases will have a diffraction effect. But keep in mind the isolated plane water wavelet is a superposition of many sinusoidal wavelength components (think about its Fourier spectrum). You can calculate the plane wave's diffraction behavior by adding up (via integration) the diffraction of these components each of which will have wavelength dependency.

Likes Glenn G
Another thing with Huygens and the secondary wavelets what about the part of the wavelets that should be projected backwards? Do we just dismiss this as limitation of the model?

Glenn G said:
I'm aware of Huygens construction for helping to explain why you might possibly get diffracted waves if a plane wave passes through a gap (i.e. About the secondary wavelets and superposition bit) but the wavelength dependence bit bothers me...

Interesting question. Huygen's Principle by itself does not deal with the wavelength of the light so is incomplete as we know there is a strong wavelength dependence to diffraction. So I guess to answer your question, just using Huygen's Principle there should not be an impact of wavelength, but the Principle by itself is not accurate as it does not take into account wavelength. Fresnel later modified the mathematical description of Huygen's Principle to include a factor that depends on wavelength in order to get more accurate results.

Likes Glenn G
pixel said:
Interesting question. Huygen's Principle by itself does not deal with the wavelength of the light so is incomplete as we know there is a strong wavelength dependence to diffraction. So I guess to answer your question, just using Huygen's Principle there should not be an impact of wavelength, but the Principle by itself is not accurate as it does not take into account wavelength. Fresnel later modified the mathematical description of Huygen's Principle to include a factor that depends on wavelength in order to get more accurate results.

I think that Fresnel's mathematical modification had more to do with the form of the waves (plane or sperical) rather than the principle of Huygens construction.

1. What is diffraction around objects?

Diffraction around objects refers to the bending and spreading of waves as they encounter an obstacle or pass through a narrow aperture. This phenomenon is observed in various fields, including optics, acoustics, and radio waves.

2. How does diffraction around objects occur?

Diffraction occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or a slit that is comparable in size to its wavelength. The wavefronts bend and spread around the edges of the obstacle, resulting in a diffraction pattern.

3. What are some real-life examples of diffraction around objects?

Diffraction can be observed in everyday life, such as when light passes through a small opening and creates a pattern of bright and dark bands, known as a diffraction pattern. It can also be seen in the ripples of water around a rock or when sound waves bend around a corner.

4. How does the size of the obstacle or aperture affect diffraction?

The size of the obstacle or aperture plays a crucial role in diffraction. As the size increases, the amount of bending and spreading of waves also increases, resulting in a more significant diffraction pattern. Conversely, smaller obstacles or apertures result in less diffraction and a more focused wave.

5. What are the applications of diffraction around objects?

Diffraction has various applications in different fields. In optics, it is used to produce diffraction gratings, which are used in spectrometers to separate light into its component wavelengths. In acoustics, diffraction is used to create directional sound beams for speakers. It is also used in radar and sonar technology to detect the presence of objects.