1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I [Diffraction] Can a glass slide magnify an object on it?

1. May 19, 2016 #1
    I have the following optical setup, in which the goal is to record the diffraction pattern of a sample on an image detector some distance away. In this particular case, the sample is sitting on a standard microscope glass slide.

Mf3tW2o.jpg
    Now, after recording the diffraction pattern, I numerically back-propagate it (using the angular spectrum method) to the sample plane. The distance between the image detector and sample is ~10 mm. However, in order to reproduce the original image of the sample, I need to numerically back-propagate 40 mm.

I'm not sure why this might be happening, so I was wondering: Could it be possible that the glass slide is effectively magnifying the diffraction pattern of the sample? If not, why would there be such a large discrepancy between the actual physical distance, and the numerically propagated distance?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2
    What do you record with your image detector?
    Do you have any phase information. If not, then you cannot reconstruct the original object.
    What do you mean by "back-propagate"?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted