Digital Pedometer for energy expended in exercise

In summary: Therefore, it may not be accurate for different types of terrain or inclines. In summary, the pedometer calculates distance in kilometers and calories burned in a directly proportional relationship, but may not be accurate for uphill climbs due to variations in incline and terrain.
reena
I use a digital pedometer which has pace counting gigure.
Four items are displayed:
Pace number , pace number by mile, kilometer as well as consumed calories.
I need help in finding out :
1. What is the relationship between distance in kilometers and calories burnt?
2.While the pedometer calculates for walking type of pace, how do I convert it to calories in case I am climbing uphill? Where should the energy expended in moving against gravity has to be considered and what is the equation one should use?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is the relationship between distance in kilometers and calories burnt?
This is a directly proportional relationship that also depends on the exact pace. That is, if you are walking at a faster rate (or faster pace) you will expend more energy and calories. One way to correctly figure out the precise relationship between calories and distance is to record a chart as such.
(use the | to separate columns)
  • distance (km) | calories
  • 0 | 0
  • 0.5 | x cal
  • 1 | x cal
  • 1.5 | x cal
  • 2 | x cal

Where x is the amount of calories burned. This should be a linear relationship as long as pace remains constant. You can then find the slope of the line which would represent the rate at which calories are burned. For example, if your slope comes out to 60, then for every half kilometer traveled, you burn 60 calories.

2.While the pedometer calculates for walking type of pace, how do I convert it to calories in case I am climbing uphill? Where should the energy expended in moving against gravity has to be considered and what is the equation one should use?

To figure out the equation for this situation, you cannot repeat the above trials unless you have a very hi-tech pedometer. I'm not sure how you can adjust to this change, but you might want to try finding the incline traveled and add that to the distance traveled.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Typically, walking up a 10% slope burns about 50% more calories than walking on level ground.

I would say that the pedometer merely uses approximations, using the values of the average number of paces per mile/kilometer, and the average number of calories burned per mile/kilometer.

What is a digital pedometer for energy expended in exercise?

A digital pedometer for energy expended in exercise is a device that tracks the number of steps taken during physical activity and calculates the amount of energy expended based on the user's weight and stride length.

How does a digital pedometer measure energy expended?

A digital pedometer uses a built-in accelerometer to detect movement and count the number of steps taken. It then uses the user's weight and stride length to calculate the amount of energy expended based on a formula.

What are the benefits of using a digital pedometer for energy expended in exercise?

Using a digital pedometer can help individuals monitor their physical activity and set goals for increasing their daily steps. It can also provide an estimate of the amount of energy expended during exercise, which can be helpful for weight management and overall health.

How accurate is a digital pedometer for measuring energy expended?

The accuracy of a digital pedometer depends on the quality of the device and the user's input of weight and stride length. Some studies have shown that digital pedometers can be accurate within 5-10% of the actual energy expended, while others have found larger discrepancies. It is important to use a high-quality pedometer and input accurate information for the best results.

Can a digital pedometer track all types of physical activity?

A digital pedometer is best suited for tracking activities that involve continuous movement, such as walking, jogging, or running. It may not be as accurate for activities that involve frequent stops and starts, such as weightlifting or yoga. However, some advanced pedometers may have additional features for tracking other types of exercise.