How can I accurately model a sine wave using popsicle sticks?

In summary, the conversation revolved around creating a model of a sine wave using popsicle sticks. The person was initially using a formula of cos(arcsin(x/10)) for cutting the sticks, but it did not work. They then resorted to tracing a sine wave onto the sticks, which was successful. Another person suggested using the formula sin((pi*(n-1))/9) instead. The conversation also mentioned that the sticks are arranged horizontally, parallel to the X axis.
Hornbein
I'm making a model of a sine wave out of popsicle sticks. Essentially I'm digitizing a sine wave.

Let's say I'm modeling half of a cycle with ten sticks. So I need to know how long to cut each stick. So I figured it would be cos(arcsin(x/10)) for x=0 through 9. Wrong! I still can't figure out what the problem is, so I printed out a sine wave and traced it onto the sticks. That worked, of course.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know where you come up with such a complex formula. Try sin((pi*(n-1))/9)

The sticks are horizontal, aligned with the X axis.

Hornbein said:
The sticks are horizontal, aligned with the X axis.

Can you post a sketch of what you are tying to do? So far the explanation is confusing (at least to me)... :smile:

1. What is digitizing trigonometry?

Digitizing trigonometry is the process of converting traditional paper-based trigonometry materials, such as textbooks and worksheets, into digital formats. This allows for easier access, storage, and use of trigonometry resources.

2. Why is digitizing trigonometry important?

Digitizing trigonometry is important because it allows for greater accessibility and flexibility in learning and using trigonometry. With digital formats, students can access materials from anywhere with an internet connection and can also utilize interactive tools and resources to enhance their understanding.

3. How is digitizing trigonometry done?

Digitizing trigonometry is typically done by scanning or photographing paper-based materials and converting them into digital files. This can be done using a scanner or camera, and then the files can be edited and organized using various software programs.

4. Are there any challenges with digitizing trigonometry?

One challenge with digitizing trigonometry is ensuring the accuracy and quality of the digital materials. This may require extra editing and proofreading to ensure that all equations, diagrams, and symbols are properly represented in the digital format.

5. What are the benefits of digitizing trigonometry for students and teachers?

Digitizing trigonometry benefits students by providing them with easy access to materials, interactive tools and resources, and the ability to work at their own pace. For teachers, it allows for easier organization and sharing of materials, as well as the ability to track student progress and provide feedback more efficiently.