Proving a Dimensional Inequality for Null Spaces of Linear Transformations

• Thread starter rjw5002
  • Start date
In order to prove that dim(null(ST)) \leq dim(null(S)) + dim(null(T)), you need to show that the null space of ST is a subspace of the sum of the null spaces of S and T. This is because any vector in the null space of ST will be sent to 0 by the composition of S and T, so it must also be in the null space of both S and T. Therefore, the dimension of the null space of ST cannot be greater than the sum of the dimensions of the null spaces of S and T.
rjw5002
Ok. i have a problem that states: "suppose U and V are finite-dimensional vector spaces and that S [tex]\in[/tex] L(V,W), T [tex]\in[/tex] L(U,V). prove that
dim(null(ST))[tex]\leq[/tex] dim(null(S)) + dim(null(T)).

i think that some call the null space the kernel.

i have tried using the fact that null(S) is a subspace of V, null(T) is a subspace of U, and null(ST) is a subspace of U.
also, that:
dim(null(T)) [tex]\geq[/tex] dim(U) - dim(V)
dim(null(S)) [tex]\geq[/tex] dim(V) - dim(W)
dim(null(ST)) [tex]\geq[/tex] dim(U) - dim(W)

the closest that i get is that dim(null(ST))= dim(null(S)) + dim(null(T)).

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
rjw5002 said:
Ok. i have a problem that states: "suppose U and V are finite-dimensional vector spaces and that S [tex]\in[/tex] L(V,W), T [tex]\in[/tex] L(U,V). prove that
dim(null(ST))[tex]\leq[/tex] dim(null(S)) + dim(null(T)).

i think that some call the null space the kernel.

i have tried using the fact that null(S) is a subspace of V, null(T) is a subspace of U, and null(ST) is a subspace of U.
also, that:
dim(null(T)) [tex]\geq[/tex] dim(U) - dim(V)
dim(null(S)) [tex]\geq[/tex] dim(V) - dim(W)
dim(null(ST)) [tex]\geq[/tex] dim(U) - dim(W)

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

It's been a while since I took a linear algebra course but maybe it would be helpful to assign a variable call it N to the total number of dimensions.

BTW what does dim(nul(ST)) mean?

rjw5002 said:
I hope you didn't get that, because it's patently false.
For example, let U,V,W = R^2, and let S,T both be the matrix
[1, 0]
[0, 0]

You've thought about dimension and you've thought about nullity... is there any related quantity you haven't thought about?

So I still want to know what ST is. Is it the inner product, the Cartesian product or is it a matrix product?

Composition of functions.

Hurkyl said:
Composition of functions.

Why should that be the case? I don't see the words composition of functions anywhere in the definition of a vector space.

You also won't see "linear transformation" anywhere in the definition of vector space!

After you have vector spaces, you can define linear functions on them and the composition is a natural operation on those functions.

The original post specifically that T was a linear transformation from U to V and that S was a linear transformation from V to W. The composition, ST, is a linear transformation from U to W.

If S and T are represented as matrices, in some appropriate bases for U, V, and W, then ST would correspond to the matric multiplication.

yes, sorry if that was unclear. ST is meant to be the composition of the functions.

Suppose v is in the null space of T. Then Tv= 0 so STv= 0 and v is in the null space of ST. That shows that the null space of T is a subspace of the null space of ST. Now suppose v is in U but NOT in the null space of T. Then Tv is a non-zero vector in V and, in order that STv=0, must be in the null space of T. That is, v is in T-1(null space of V). That set cannot have dimension larger than dim(null space of S). Putting those together, the dimension of the null space of TS cannot be larger than the dim(null space of S)+ dim(null space of T).

the null space of S is the space of stuff going to zero, so the null space of ST is the stuff S sends into the null space of T.

so we need to estimate the size of the pullback K of null(T) under S. this follows from the basic formula relating dimensions of nullspace and image.

i.e. the image of K is inside null(T), so that formula says the dimension of K is at most the sum of dim null(T) and dim null(S).(recall the fundamental formula says that dim im(U) + dim null(U) = dim(dom(U)).

apply this to S acting on K as domain, and then the image is contained in null(T).))

Mathwonk, I was with you until you swapped T for U:
"(recall the fundamental formula says that dim im(U) + dim null(U) = dim(dom(U))."

In the original question, U was a vector space, not a linear transformation!

Related to Proving a Dimensional Inequality for Null Spaces of Linear Transformations

What is a dim and null question?

A dim and null question is a type of question that does not have a clear answer or is considered to be ambiguous. It is often used to gather more information or clarification on a topic.

What are some examples of dim and null questions?

Some examples of dim and null questions include "What do you mean by that?" or "Can you explain further?" These questions do not have a direct answer and require the person to provide more context or detail.

Why are dim and null questions important in scientific research?

Dim and null questions are important in scientific research because they allow researchers to gather more information and address any uncertainties or ambiguities in their findings. By asking these types of questions, scientists can ensure their research is thorough and accurate.

When should dim and null questions be used in scientific research?

Dim and null questions should be used in scientific research when there is a lack of information or clarity on a topic. They can also be used to challenge assumptions and explore alternative perspectives.

How can dim and null questions be used to improve scientific communication?

Dim and null questions can improve scientific communication by encouraging deeper understanding and critical thinking. By asking these types of questions, scientists can identify any gaps in their knowledge and better communicate their findings to others.