Dimension Analysis: Solving x=ut- y^{2} * z^{2} / V

In summary, the conversation discusses the consistency of a mathematical model involving length, speed, time, and volume. The attempt at a solution shows that the model is consistent, even though both sides do not appear to be balanced. The participants also discuss the concept of consistency and how it relates to the presence of dimensions on both sides of the model.
Philip Wong

Homework Statement

x=ut- y^{2} * z^{2} / V
x,y,z is length
u is speed
t is time
V is volume

The Attempt at a Solution

m = m/s * s - (m^{2} * m^{2} / m^{3})
m=m- m^{4}/m^{3}
m=m-m
m=0

there is inconsistent? is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are consistent. m-m->m
We do not know if
ut- y^{2} * z^{2} / V
is 0, but even if it is it is 0m.

lurflurf said:
They are consistent. m-m->m
We do not know if
ut- y^{2} * z^{2} / V
is 0, but even if it is it is 0m.

oh right! I was thinking that it was consistent at first, but i have doubt it. So I said it's inconsistent. Now you've explained it I've fully understand it.

So is it alright to assume, a model is consistent when:
no dimension is left unchecked (i.e. appears on both sides of the model), even though both sides doesn't seems to be balanced (e.g. m = m)?

for example:
using the same assumption as my question,
V = (-x^{2} * u) / t

m^{3} = m^{2}s^{-1} * ms^{-2}

m^{3} = m^{3}s^{-3}

therefore is inconsistent because time does not appears on the left hand side?

That is right.

thanks for your help!

FAQ: Dimension Analysis: Solving x=ut- y^{2} * z^{2} / V

1. What is dimension analysis?

Dimension analysis is a mathematical method used to determine the relationship between physical quantities and their units. It involves breaking down a complex equation into its basic dimensions and using those dimensions to create a new equation that is more easily solvable.

2. How is dimension analysis used in solving equations?

Dimension analysis can be used to simplify and solve equations by converting them into a form where all of the units match. This allows for easier comparison and manipulation of equations to find a solution.

3. What does the equation x=ut- y^{2} * z^{2} / V represent?

The equation x=ut- y^{2} * z^{2} / V represents the displacement of an object, x, in terms of its initial velocity, u, time, t, and the square of its dimensions, y and z, divided by a variable volume, V.

4. What are the basic dimensions used in dimension analysis?

The basic dimensions used in dimension analysis are length, mass, time, electric current, temperature, amount of substance, and luminous intensity. These dimensions are represented by their respective units, such as meters for length, kilograms for mass, and seconds for time.

5. How can dimension analysis help in real-world applications?

Dimension analysis can help in real-world applications by providing a way to simplify complex equations and relationships between physical quantities. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.

Back