Dimension of the group O(n,R) - How to calc?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
JuanC97
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Hi, I want to find the number of parameters needed to define an orthogonal transformation in Rn.
As I suppose, this equals the dimension of the orthogonal group O(n,R) - but, correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this yet. If it helps, I know that an orthogonal matix should have n(n+1)/2 "free components".
That said, I'd appreciate any hint from this point.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
An orthogonal tranformation ##A## satisfies ##AA^T = I##. Those are initially ##n^2## constraints, but some coincide since the matrix ##AA^T## always is symmetric even if the matrix is orthogonal. So the amount of constraints consist of an upper diagonal matrix, which has ##\frac{n(n+1)}{2}## entries.

The amount of freedom is then ##n^2 - \frac{n(n+1)}{2} = \frac{n(n-1)}{2}##, which is the dimension.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JuanC97
micromass said:
An orthogonal tranformation ##A## satisfies ##AA^T = I##. Those are initially ##n^2## constraints, but some coincide since the matrix ##AA^T## always is symmetric even if the matrix is orthogonal. So the amount of constraints consist of an upper diagonal matrix, which has ##\frac{n(n+1)}{2}## entries.

The amount of freedom is then ##n^2 - \frac{n(n+1)}{2} = \frac{n(n-1)}{2}##, which is the dimension.

Thanks, very concise.
 
you can also use induction and geometry. such a matrix consists of n orthogonal unit length columns. so just ask how many ways there are to choose these. If n = 1, only two choices exist of unit vectors, so the dimension is zero. then to go from n to n+1, we begin by choosing a unit vector in n+1 space, i.e. a point on the n dimensional sphere in n+1 space. so the inductive step giving the answer fore n+1 space, just adds n to the answer for n space, so just add n to n(n-1)/2 and you get (n+1)n/2.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara