Dimension of the group O(n,R) - How to calc?

In summary, the number of parameters needed to define an orthogonal transformation in Rn is equal to the dimension of the orthogonal group O(n,R), which is given by n(n-1)/2. This is because an orthogonal matrix has n^2 constraints, but some coincide due to symmetry, leaving n(n+1)/2 free components. Using induction and geometry, it can also be shown that the amount of freedom is n(n-1)/2, giving the same result.
JuanC97
Hi, I want to find the number of parameters needed to define an orthogonal transformation in Rn.
As I suppose, this equals the dimension of the orthogonal group O(n,R) - but, correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this yet. If it helps, I know that an orthogonal matix should have n(n+1)/2 "free components".
That said, I'd appreciate any hint from this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
An orthogonal tranformation ##A## satisfies ##AA^T = I##. Those are initially ##n^2## constraints, but some coincide since the matrix ##AA^T## always is symmetric even if the matrix is orthogonal. So the amount of constraints consist of an upper diagonal matrix, which has ##\frac{n(n+1)}{2}## entries.

The amount of freedom is then ##n^2 - \frac{n(n+1)}{2} = \frac{n(n-1)}{2}##, which is the dimension.

Likes JuanC97
micromass said:
An orthogonal tranformation ##A## satisfies ##AA^T = I##. Those are initially ##n^2## constraints, but some coincide since the matrix ##AA^T## always is symmetric even if the matrix is orthogonal. So the amount of constraints consist of an upper diagonal matrix, which has ##\frac{n(n+1)}{2}## entries.

The amount of freedom is then ##n^2 - \frac{n(n+1)}{2} = \frac{n(n-1)}{2}##, which is the dimension.

Thanks, very concise.

you can also use induction and geometry. such a matrix consists of n orthogonal unit length columns. so just ask how many ways there are to choose these. If n = 1, only two choices exist of unit vectors, so the dimension is zero. then to go from n to n+1, we begin by choosing a unit vector in n+1 space, i.e. a point on the n dimensional sphere in n+1 space. so the inductive step giving the answer fore n+1 space, just adds n to the answer for n space, so just add n to n(n-1)/2 and you get (n+1)n/2.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is the dimension of the group O(n,R) and how is it calculated?

The dimension of the group O(n,R) refers to the number of independent parameters needed to describe the group. In other words, it is the number of variables that are required to uniquely identify an element in the group. It is calculated by finding the number of degrees of freedom in the group, which can be determined by the number of independent generators in the group or the number of matrices needed to form the group.

2. What is the significance of the group O(n,R) in mathematics and science?

The group O(n,R) is significant in mathematics and science because it represents the set of all orthogonal matrices of size n over the real numbers. These matrices have important applications in areas such as geometry, physics, and engineering. They are used to describe rotations, reflections, and other transformations in space, making them essential in fields such as computer graphics and robotics.

3. How does the dimension of the group O(n,R) depend on the value of n?

The dimension of the group O(n,R) depends on the value of n as the size of the group increases with n. For example, the dimension of O(2,R) is 1, while the dimension of O(3,R) is 3. This is because the number of degrees of freedom increases with the number of dimensions in the matrices, making the calculation of the dimension more complex for larger values of n.

4. Can the dimension of the group O(n,R) be greater than n?

No, the dimension of the group O(n,R) cannot be greater than n. This is because the group is defined as the set of all orthogonal matrices of size n, so the dimension cannot exceed the size of the matrices. However, it is possible for the dimension to be less than n, depending on the specific values of n and the elements in the group.

5. How is the dimension of the group O(n,R) related to other mathematical concepts such as rank and determinant?

The dimension of the group O(n,R) is related to the rank and determinant of the matrices in the group. The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent rows or columns, which can also be seen as the number of independent variables in the matrix. The determinant is a measure of the scale factor of a linear transformation represented by the matrix. Both the rank and determinant play a role in determining the dimension of the group O(n,R), as they are indicators of the number of independent parameters needed to describe the group.