1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional Analysis and Power enthropy

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

how do i deduce the dimension of the following using dimensional analysis

Power enthropy, surface charge density, inductance, permitivity, radius of gyration

tried deducing the dimension of power like this:

p=work done/time
    work done w= force x distance
    =MLT e^-2 L
    =ML e^T e^-2

substitute for power P= ML e^2 T e^ -2/T = ML e^ 2 T e^ -2

=ML e^ 2 T e^ -3

anyhelp will be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what the 'e' is supposed to mean? Do you mean p = ML2T-3 ? If this is what you meant, then you are correct for the dimensions of power.

4. May 1, 2012 #3
    yes that is what i mean can you give me a clue on the dimension of enthrophy th3n

5. May 1, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

do you mean entropy? And to figure out its dimensions, you just need to do the same kind of thing you did with power. You knew that power is energy divided by time, and you knew the dimensions of energy and time, so you just substituted them into the equation to get the dimensions of power. So what equations do you know which involve entropy?

6. May 2, 2012 #5
    yes entropy, and i think dq=du+dw involves entropy am i right?

7. May 2, 2012 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

ah, well not that equation exactly. but there is an equation which relates a small change in entropy to dq

8. May 2, 2012 #7
    so what the equation please

9. May 2, 2012 #8

BruceW

Homework Helper

well the equation has dq, T and ds (small change in entropy). Have you been taught this equation yet? Do you know any other equations involving entropy? It seems strange that your teacher would ask for the dimensions of entropy if the class has not yet been introduced to the concept yet..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook