Dimensional Analysis and Power enthropy

In summary, the conversation is about deducing the dimensions of various physical quantities using dimensional analysis. The person is seeking help with determining the dimensions of power, entropy, and other related quantities. The expert provides guidance on how to approach finding the dimensions and suggests using equations that involve these quantities.
dan4loriel
1. Homework Statement

how do i deduce the dimension of the following using dimensional analysis

Power enthropy, surface charge density, inductance, permitivity, radius of gyration

tried deducing the dimension of power like this:

p=work done/time
work done w= force x distance
=MLT e^-2 L
=ML e^T e^-2

substitute for power P= ML e^2 T e^ -2/T = ML e^ 2 T e^ -2

=ML e^ 2 T e^ -3

anyhelp will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the 'e' is supposed to mean? Do you mean p = ML2T-3 ? If this is what you meant, then you are correct for the dimensions of power.

yes that is what i mean can you give me a clue on the dimension of enthrophy th3n

do you mean entropy? And to figure out its dimensions, you just need to do the same kind of thing you did with power. You knew that power is energy divided by time, and you knew the dimensions of energy and time, so you just substituted them into the equation to get the dimensions of power. So what equations do you know which involve entropy?

yes entropy, and i think dq=du+dw involves entropy am i right?

ah, well not that equation exactly. but there is an equation which relates a small change in entropy to dq

so what the equation please

well the equation has dq, T and ds (small change in entropy). Have you been taught this equation yet? Do you know any other equations involving entropy? It seems strange that your teacher would ask for the dimensions of entropy if the class has not yet been introduced to the concept yet..

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze and understand physical quantities and their relationships. It involves breaking down complex equations into simpler components based on the dimensions of the units involved.

How is dimensional analysis useful in science?

Dimensional analysis is useful in science because it allows researchers to check the consistency and validity of their equations. It also helps in converting units and solving problems involving different units. Furthermore, it can be used to derive new relationships between physical quantities.

What is power entropy?

Power entropy is a measure of the amount of energy dissipated in a system when it undergoes a change. It takes into account both the amount of energy and the rate at which it is dissipated. It is a concept commonly used in thermodynamics.

How is power entropy related to dimensional analysis?

Power entropy and dimensional analysis are closely related because both concepts involve analyzing physical quantities and their relationships. In the case of power entropy, dimensional analysis can be used to derive equations that relate the dissipated power to other physical quantities, such as temperature and energy.

What are some real-life applications of dimensional analysis and power entropy?

Dimensional analysis and power entropy have many practical applications in science and engineering. Some examples include designing efficient heat transfer systems, optimizing power generation processes, and understanding fluid dynamics in different environments. These concepts are also used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology to analyze and predict the behavior of systems.