Dimensional analysis universal gravitation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the determination of the SI units of G in the equation F = GMm/r^2, which is Newton's law of universal gravitation. The person speaking admits that their math skills are rusty and that this is a homework problem, but they are not turning it in for a grade. They ask for someone to walk them through the steps and explain how to determine the units of G. Another person provides the answer as m^3/kg*s^2 and suggests using LaTex for the math font. They also suggest simplifying the units to find the unit of G.
suetonius
Firstly, I admit that my math skills are fairly rusty. I also admit that this is a homework problem. It is not to be turned in for a grade however.
The problem is to determine the SI units of G in the following equation:

F = GMm/r^2

(where F is force (mass * acceleration), M and m are the masses of two objects, and r is a distance)
which is, of course, Newton's law of universal gravitation.
I would be greatly appreciative if someone could walk through the steps needed to make this determination.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work it out for G:

[tex]F = G\frac{{m_1 \cdot m_2 }}{{r^2 }} \Leftrightarrow G = \frac{{F \cdot r^2 }}{{m_1 \cdot m_2 }}[/tex]

I suppose you now the units of the RHS, LHS has to be equal :smile:

Thanks for that. The answer in the back of the book is quite different, however. It is given as m^3/kg*s^2. I'm working on it. Do you think you could go into more detail? Again, my skills are a little rusty. Also, how'd you get the math font into your message?

I just worked it out for G. Now you have to replace the right hand side by all their units and simplify to find the unit of G.

[tex]1N = kg \frac {m}{s^2}[/tex]
for font (LaTex) read first threads in General Physics forum :smile:

edit: where 1N is unit of force.

1. What is dimensional analysis and how does it relate to universal gravitation?

Dimensional analysis is a method used by scientists to check the consistency of mathematical equations. It involves looking at the units of measurement for each variable in an equation and ensuring they are consistent. In the case of universal gravitation, dimensional analysis helps to confirm that the equation accurately represents the relationship between mass, distance, and gravitational force.

2. Why is the universal gravitation equation important in physics and astronomy?

The universal gravitation equation, also known as Newton's law of universal gravitation, is important because it helps us understand the force of gravity between any two objects in the universe. This is crucial in fields such as physics and astronomy, where the study of celestial bodies and their movements relies on our understanding of gravitational forces.

3. How is the universal gravitation equation derived?

The universal gravitation equation was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He observed that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. He used this observation, along with his laws of motion, to derive the universal gravitation equation: F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does the universal gravitation equation account for the force of gravity on different planets?

The universal gravitation equation accounts for the force of gravity on different planets by taking into consideration the masses of the objects and the distance between them. Since the mass and distance of each planet varies, the force of gravity will also vary. This is why the gravitational force on Earth is different from that on other planets.

5. Can dimensional analysis be used to predict the force of gravity in different situations?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used to predict the force of gravity in different situations. By plugging in the appropriate units for mass, distance, and force into the universal gravitation equation, scientists can accurately predict the force of gravity between any two objects. This has been confirmed through various experiments and observations, making dimensional analysis a reliable tool in studying gravitational forces.