Troubleshooting Diode Circuit with DC and AC Voltage Sources: Need Help?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a circuit that includes a DC source, an AC source, two resistances, and a diode (not ideal). The main source is the DC source, which gives a steady 2V, but the AC source also adds to the circuit. The conversation also mentions determining the diode dynamic resistance and impedance, and the relationship between AC and DC current in the diode. It is determined that the AC current is negligible compared to the DC current, and the diode dynamic impedance is constant for a given operating point. The conversation also mentions finding the AC and DC currents separately and how they are determined.
Rampart
Hello guys.I am really having a problem with a circuit that includes a dc source,an ac source,2 resistances and a diode(not ideal).In the pdf that i uploaded is my way of thinking for this.I will really value any help and guidance.

Thnx in advance

Attachments

• New Doc 16.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
In determining the diode dynamic resistance r, where did you get the 0.7V? The 4 mA?
1. Determine the diode dynamic impedance r = ∂Id/∂Vd at the 2Vdc input level
of the diode when Vac in = 0. Use the standard I-V diode relationship for a junction diode.

2. Then it's a linear problem if you neglect the small changes in r with input ac voltage. The dc diode current and dynaminc impedance do not change significantly with ac input voltage (why?). The diode ac current is determined by r and the 100 ohm resistors.
Have fun!

Sir at first let me thank you for your reply...In my attempt to understand what you told me i am pretty sure i burnt many brain cells..So Mr Rudeman(or any1 who has the mood) i have many questions so let me start from the beginning:

<<In determining the diode dynamic resistance r,where did you get the 0.7V?The 4 mA?
The as source gives maximum Vm=0.1V,so it is not possible to get 0.7 just from that.The main source is the dc source which gives steady 2V.But the AC source adds as well,does it not?
<<1. Determine the diode dynamic impedance r = ∂Id/∂Vd at the 2Vdc input level
of the diode when Vac in = 0. Use the standard I-V diode relationship for a junction diode>>

ok why i should take that AC source is 0?In order to use this equation dv/di=R,must i have only the DC source?
Is it because R is a constant only when the as source is 0?Only when there is a linear relation?Do i get from the graph that AC must not be taken into account?I am just posting some thoughts i have into mind...

<<
2. Then it's a linear problem if you neglect the small changes in r with input ac voltage. The dc diode current and dynaminc impedance do not change significantly with ac input voltage (why?). The diode ac current is determined by r and the 100 ohm resistors.
Have fun!
>>

I take that AC source is 0,because its voltage is too low so that it doesn't really make any difference?That is why in the graph there is a linear relation between id and vd?

And now the thing i do not have a clue about.<<The diode ac current is determined by r and the 100 ohm resistors>>.If i regarded AC source is 0,why should i find the ac current?Wouldnt it be
id=idc+iac ~ idc(where idc is the current that is <<produced>> only by the dc source).

Do id and vd change through time just because of the ac source?I know these questions are many and too simple for most of you,but it is the only way to build myself.
Feel free guys to answer whenever you want and can.

Rampart said:
<<In determining the diode dynamic resistance r,where did you get the 0.7V?The 4 mA?
The ac source gives maximum Vm=0.1V,so it is not possible to get 0.7 just from that.The main source is the dc source which gives steady 2V.But the AC source adds as well,does it not?
Not the way to determine ac diode impedance.
<<1. Determine the diode dynamic impedance r = ∂Id/∂Vd at the 2Vdc input level
of the diode when Vac in = 0. Use the standard I-V diode relationship for a junction diode>>

ok why i should take that AC source is 0? In order to use this equation dv/di=R, must i have only the DC source?
Yes.
Is it because R is a constant only when the as source is 0? Only when there is a linear relation? Do i get from the graph that AC must not be taken into account? I am just posting some thoughts i have into mind...
r is very nearly always constant and is computed when ac input = 0. r does not vary appreciably with ac voltage if ac current << dc current, here the case.

The basic junction diode equation is Id = Isexp(Vd/26 mV) at room temperature. By taking 1/r = ∂Id/∂Vd you eliminate Is so you don't need it to compute r.
You are trying to find the diode dynamic impedance r about your operating point. Your operating ("bias") point is when the ac input = 0. The bias point is negligibly disturbed with the ac input voltage since ac << dc inputs. AC diode current is a function of r only.
>

I take that AC source is 0, because its voltage is too low so that it doesn't really make any difference? That is why in the graph there is a linear relation between id and vd?
That is basically right. Your ac amplitude is << dc voltage at the diode anode so r is always constant.
And now the thing i do not have a clue about.<<The diode ac current is determined by r and the 100 ohm resistors>>.If i regarded AC source is 0, why should i find the ac current? Wouldnt it be
id=idc+iac ~ idc(where idc is the current that is <<produced>> only by the dc source).
I believe the problem wants you to find iac and Idc. iac is determined by including r in your equations, along with the two 100 ohm resistors. Idc is determined by a dc analysis with the input ac voltage = 0. These are basically totally different computations.

Electronics is full of circuits where the ac current is 10-6 or even much less of the dc current. The dc current level is typically set to give maximum ac gain, or minimum ac noise, or some other criterion. The interesting component is usually the ac component since that is typically the signal of interest. So you must not ignore the ac current even though it is << dc current.
Do Id and Vd change through time just because of the ac source?
Only very slightly. You are to ignore that variation. The reason is that the ac amplitude is << dc input voltage.

Likes Rampart
You sir,honestly speaking,made my day.Some things are more clear now and i thank you for that!

Rampart said:
You sir,honestly speaking,made my day.Some things are more clear now and i thank you for that!
You're welcome!

1. What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows electric current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of a semiconductor material and has two terminals: an anode, which is positively charged, and a cathode, which is negatively charged.

2. How does a diode work?

A diode works by using a built-in electric field to allow current to flow from the anode to the cathode, but not in the reverse direction. This is due to the difference in energy levels between the two terminals, which creates a barrier for current flow in one direction.

3. What is the difference between a dc and ac voltage source?

A dc (direct current) voltage source provides a constant and steady flow of electric current in one direction, while an ac (alternating current) voltage source periodically changes direction. This results in a fluctuating current flow.

4. Can a diode be used as a dc voltage source?

Yes, a diode can be used as a dc voltage source by connecting it in series with a resistor and a power supply. The diode will act as a one-way valve, allowing current to flow in only one direction, while the resistor will limit the amount of current that can flow through it.

5. How do you measure the voltage of a dc or ac voltage source?

To measure the voltage of a dc or ac voltage source, a voltmeter can be used. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the voltage source, and it will display the voltage reading in either direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC) depending on the type of source.