How does applying potential affect the energy band diagram for a diode?

In summary, the band diagram in a solid material shifts up or down when a potential is applied due to the change in electric potential and total energy of the electrons. The direction of the shift depends on the polarity of the applied potential and the negative charge of the electrons. The y-axis in a band diagram represents energy, and applying a voltage changes the position of the charge and its potential energy. The potential energy is equivalent to the work that can be done by a weight with a changed height.
jaus tail
TL;DR Summary
Why does band diagram shift in diode?
1565267152801.png

Ref: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Solids/pnjun2.html
Hyperphysics Asstr

Why does the band diagram shift up or down when I apply potential? Why does it shift down when positive potential is applied? Professor said it's because electron has negative charge and so we consider downward direction as positive because we have -qE as some energy for electron to enter free space.

But I didn't understand it. If I apply n-region with positive potential, then am I increasing or decreasing electron concentration in Surface. From Energy band diagram I am increasing Electron concentration as the Ef is toward Ec now. But I don't understand how?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes jaus tail
But why does it move down and why not up? The y-axis is energy to do what?

Do you know how to calculate the electric potential energy for a test charge in an electric field? In band diagrams the position of the charge is fixed so if you make the field more positive it should be obvious what happens to the electric potential energy.

The y-axis is total energy. Potential energy is energy to do... something. It’s equivalent to asking what a weight whose height was changed can (or cannot) do.

1. What is a diode energy band diagram?

A diode energy band diagram is a graphical representation of the energy levels of electrons in a diode. It shows the energy levels of the valence band and conduction band, as well as the energy barrier between them.

2. How does a diode energy band diagram illustrate the behavior of a diode?

The diode energy band diagram illustrates the behavior of a diode by showing how it allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction. The energy barrier in the diagram represents the potential barrier that must be overcome for current to flow.

3. What is the significance of the energy band gap in a diode energy band diagram?

The energy band gap in a diode energy band diagram represents the energy difference between the valence band and conduction band. This gap is what allows a diode to have its characteristic behavior of allowing current to flow in one direction and blocking it in the other direction.

4. How does temperature affect the diode energy band diagram?

Temperature affects the diode energy band diagram by causing the energy levels of the electrons to shift. This can result in changes to the width of the energy barrier, which can affect the behavior of the diode.

5. What is the difference between a forward-biased and reverse-biased diode energy band diagram?

A forward-biased diode energy band diagram shows the energy levels when the diode is allowing current to flow in the forward direction. A reverse-biased diode energy band diagram shows the energy levels when the diode is blocking current flow in the reverse direction. In both cases, the energy barrier is lower than in the unbiased state.