Calculating forces and torque on a moving dipole in non-uniform magnetic field

In summary, the net force and torque on an electric dipole in a non-uniform magnetic field can be determined by taking the average velocity and the difference between the two velocities, and then taking the derivative of the magnetic field.
Gertrude

Homework Statement

I want to determine the net force and torqe on a moving electric dipole in non-uniform magnetic field.
I suspect I should take some kind of a limit, but I'm not sure how to do so.
Please help, I'd really like to understand this.

Homework Equations

##\mathbf{F} = q \mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B}, \quad \mathbf{\tau} = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{F}, \quad \mathbf{p} = q \mathbf{d}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote the velocities as the average velocity ##\mathbf{v} = (\mathbf{v}_1+\mathbf{v}_2)/2## plus the difference (index 1 indicates the positive charge and 2 the negative charge):
$$\mathbf{F} = q\mathbf{v}_1 \times \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) - q\mathbf{v}_2 \times \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})$$
So what I got in the end was:
$$\mathbf{F} = q \mathbf{v} \times (\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) - \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})) + \frac{q}{2} \dot{\mathbf{p}} \times (\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) + \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}))$$
I'm stuck here and I'm not sure how to get a 'nicer' form that would only contain ##\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})##.

Regarding the torque:
$$\mathbf{\tau} = \frac{\mathbf{d}}{2} \times \mathbf{F}_1 - \frac{\mathbf{d}}{2} \times \mathbf{F}_2$$
Rearraging a bit I got:
$$\mathbf{\tau} = \frac{\mathbf{p}}{2} \times (\mathbf{v}_1 \times \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) + \mathbf{v}_2 \times \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}))$$
From here on I have the same problem as before.

If you can help me with a hint or two I'll be really grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Gertrude, :welcome:

Did you work out the case for the homogeneous ##\mathbf B## field already ?
An electric dipole generally has a small size ##\mathbf d## so I expect the derivative of ##\mathbf B## to appear for the non-homogeneous case (i.e. the limit ##\mathbf d \downarrow 0## seems useful to me.

I would also work with the center of the dipole, not with one of the charges as central point.

Likes Gertrude
Hello, thanks for answering!

As a matter of fact I did compute a net force and torque in uniform magnetic field before. I got:
$$ \mathbf{F} = \dot{\mathbf{p}} \times \mathbf{B}, \quad \mathbf{\tau} = \mathbf{p} \times (\mathbf{v}_C \times \mathbf{B})$$
with ##\mathbf{v}_C## being the velocity of the center of mass ##\mathbf{r}_C = (\mathbf{r}_1 + \mathbf{r}_2)/2##.

Now for the non-uniform case: I can see that in the first summand of the force, I get a derivative (in three dimensions, thus a gradient in the direction of orientation):
$$q \mathbf{v} \times (\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) - \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})) = q \mathbf{v} d \times \frac{(\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) - \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}))}{p/q} => p \mathbf{v} \times (\hat{\mathbf{d}} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})$$
and in the second summand I get:
$$\frac{q}{2} \dot{\mathbf{p}} \times (\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) + \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})) => q \dot{\mathbf{p}} \times \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})$$
I believe ##\mathbf{v}## is the translation velocity of the center of mass. By the way, is it mathematically correct to take such limits as I did (especially the second term, where I had a sum of the fields)?
So I see the force gets one extra term comparing to the uniform case, which seems logical.

In computing the torque I did something similar:
$$\frac{\mathbf{p}}{2} \times (\mathbf{v} \times (\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) + \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})) + \frac{\dot{\mathbf{p}}}{2q} \times (\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r} + \mathbf{p}/q) - \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}))) =>$$
$$=> \frac{\mathbf{p}}{2} \times (2\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}) + \frac{d}{2q} \dot{\mathbf{p}} \times (\hat{\mathbf{d}} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r}))$$
Since ##\dot{\mathbf{p}} = q(\mathbf{v}_1- \mathbf{v}_2)## only changes direction, it's always perpendicular on ##\hat{\mathbf{d}}## (and ##\mathbf{p}##) and thus the second term is zero.
So the torque is the same as in uniform case? I didn't expect that.

Am I on the right path of thinking?

Last edited:
I should think so (but haven't time to scrutinize all the steps).
Turns out someone did a lot of work already; perhaps this article is a nice starting point ... complicated enough already without inhomogeneity (and they work in gaussian units, too. That's reasonable but an extra complication nevertheless o_O ). Your ## \mathbf{\tau} = \mathbf{p} \times (\mathbf{v}_C \times \mathbf{B}))## looks like their (19a) .

I'll surely take a look at that, thank you for your time.

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or an electromagnetic wave that has a separation of positive and negative charges. This separation creates a dipole moment, which is the measure of the strength of the dipole.

2. How does a dipole behave in a non-uniform electric field?

In a non-uniform electric field, a dipole will experience a torque, causing it to align itself with the field. This is because the positive and negative charges experience different forces in the field, causing a net torque on the dipole.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a dipole in a non-uniform electric field?

The behavior of a dipole in a non-uniform electric field is affected by the strength and direction of the field, the distance between the charges, and the shape and orientation of the dipole.

4. How is the dipole moment calculated in a non-uniform electric field?

The dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the charge separation distance by the magnitude of the electric field at that point. This takes into account both the strength and direction of the field, as well as the distance between the charges.

5. What are some applications of dipoles in non-uniform electric fields?

Dipoles in non-uniform electric fields are commonly used in devices such as electric motors and generators. They are also used in particle accelerators and can help explain the behavior of molecules in a non-uniform electric field.