Dirac Delta Function Explained: Simplified for M.S Students

In summary: As a distribution, the dirac delta is a thing that's defined by its action on test functions, just as a polynomial is defined by its coefficients. In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and nature of the Dirac delta function, which is not actually a function but a distribution or generalized function. Different perspectives and analogies, such as thinking of it as a limit of a sequence of functions or a very narrow and tall rectangle, are offered to help understand its properties. The Dirac delta function is defined by its action on test functions and can be thought of as a "strange" way to write an integral. It is often used in quantum physics and has a well-defined Fourier transform in the space of Schwartz distributions.
maximummman
hello every body

i am a new M.S student

and i can't understand the Dirac delta function can anyone simply describe it to me in order to simplify it.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want the actual definition, you should start by taking a look at the Wikipedia article about distributions, and then ask in one of the math forums of this site. (Unless someone like Hurkyl shows up in this thread). I think most physicists don't really know the definition of the Dirac delta distribution. It's actually not even a function, at least not a function from [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb R[/itex].

You can get pretty far just knowing those things that you have probably already heard, those things that sound crazy: It's a "function" that is 0 everywhere except at 0 where it's [itex]\infty[/itex]. If you integrate it over any interval that includes 0, the result is 1.

If the presence of the delta function bothers you when you see an expression like [itex]g(x,y)=f(x)\delta(x-y)[/itex], just think of it as a strange way to write

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(x,y) dx = f(y)[/itex]

If you want to go beyond that, you need to learn about distributions.

First of all, the "dirac delta function" is not a true function. It is an example of what mathematicians refer to as a "distribution" or "generalzed function". It is better to think of such things as "operators" ON functions: If f(x) is any function the dirac delta functions applied to it gives f(0): that is normally represented by [itex]\int f(x)\delta(x)dx= f(0)[/itex].

One good way to think of a delta function is as the limit of a sequence of functions. Let f1(x)= 0 if x< -1, 1/2 if [itex]-1\le x\le 1[/itex], 0 if x> 1.
f2[/sup](x)= 0 if x< -1/2, 1 if [itex]-1/2\le x\le 1/2[/itex], 0 if x> 1/2.

In general, fn= 0 is x< -1/n, n/2 if [itex]-1/n\le x\le 1/n[/itex], 0 if x> 1/n.

Notice that the integral of each of those, from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] is just (n/2)(1/n- (-1/n))= (n/2)(2/n)= 1. The Dirac delta function is the "limit" of those. I put "limit" in quotes because, in the usual sense, the functions {fn(x)} have no limit. We think of those as defining the Dirac delta function which, as I said, is not a true function.

Notice that the integral of each of those, from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex]is just (n/2)(1/n- (-1/n))= (n/2)(2/n)= 1.

who did you do this integration?

Last edited:
maximummman said:
who did you do this integration?

I'm sorry, I don't understand this question. I guess English isn't your first language, but try again using different words, or more words.

He means "How did you do the integration?".

It's amazing how much difference it makes when you switch two letters! :rolleyes:

jtbell said:
It's amazing how much difference it makes when you switch two letters! :rolleyes:

I guess, the permutation group is not the symmetry group of language:smile:

i am sorry for my spilling mistake

i am Egyptian

i mean that " could you describe for me the steps of this integration?"

i wish my spelling in this time is correct

and thank you :D:D:D:):):)

He was integrating a constant function (which has the shape of a rectangle), so the integral is just the area of the rectangle (=width*high=n/2*(2/n)).
Instead of a formal definition I will tell you a practical conception of delta function:
It is a function that is nonzero on a very small interval, which is so short that it can be aproximated by zero. Delta function is also so high that it can be aproximated by infinity (on the thin interval where it is nonzero) . The only exception to those two rules is a case when the area under the curve of delta function is in question. The area is defined to be 1. Delta function can have any shape (as long as it meets the 3 previous requirements), the easiest way is to imagine a very high and very thin rectangle: for example one with the hight of n and the width of 1/n for a very high n.

someone who is good at math tell me if the the dirac delta is a limit of sequence of a functions and which space is the "smallest" such that the limit converges?

ice109 said:
someone who is good at math tell me if the the dirac delta is a limit of sequence of a functions
Yes... but only if you first reinterpret the functions as being distributions. (Assuming you are using Schwartz distributions as the mathematical foundation) Without such a reinterpretation, the limit (obviously!) doesn't exist.

and which space is the "smallest" such that the limit converges?
The space that contains nothing except the functions in your sequence and the dirac delta.

Hurkyl said:
Yes... but only if you first reinterpret the functions as being distributions. (Assuming you are using Schwartz distributions as the mathematical foundation) Without such a reinterpretation, the limit (obviously!) doesn't exist.
a distribution being any function which i can multiply with a well behaved functin?
The space that contains nothing except the functions in your sequence and the dirac delta.
cute. how about a nontrivial space then. my point is does can we define the dirac delta and other such strange functions similarly to how we define real numbers.

ice109 said:
a distribution being any function which i can multiply with a well behaved functin?
More accurately, (in the usual notation) one that you can "multiply by a well-behaved function and then integrate".

Of course, for the usual definitions of 'well-behaved function', it is straightforward enough to define a product of the form
{distribution} * {test function} = {distribution}​
Because you can integrate {distribution} * {test function} * {test function}

cute. how about a nontrivial space then. my point is does can we define the dirac delta and other such strange functions similarly to how we define real numbers.
The space of Schwartz distributions is very good for the purposes of quantum physics -- in particular, Fourier transforms always exist for Schwartz distributions.

The Polish Mathematician Mikusinki defined distributions in terms of sequences of function- the sequences themselves do not converge to functions but you can then define distributions as "equivalence classes" in much the same way you can define the real numbers as equivalence classes of sequences of rational numbers. He then showed that they have exactly the same properties as Schwarze's definition.

HallsofIvy said:
The Polish Mathematician Mikusinki defined distributions in terms of sequences of function- the sequences themselves do not converge to functions but you can then define distributions as "equivalence classes" in much the same way you can define the real numbers as equivalence classes of sequences of rational numbers. He then showed that they have exactly the same properties as Schwarze's definition.

o rly? then i proclaim myself a genius for coming up with that

Related to Dirac Delta Function Explained: Simplified for M.S Students

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical concept used to represent an infinitely tall and narrow function that is zero everywhere except at the origin. It is often referred to as a "generalized function" because it does not follow the traditional rules of a function.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in science?

The Dirac Delta Function is commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to model point-like objects, such as particles in quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing and image analysis to represent impulses and spikes in a signal.

3. What is the purpose of simplifying the Dirac Delta Function for M.S students?

M.S students often encounter the Dirac Delta Function in their studies and research, but it can be a difficult concept to understand. By simplifying it, students can grasp the basic principles and applications of the function, making it easier for them to apply it in their work.

4. How is the Dirac Delta Function evaluated?

The Dirac Delta Function cannot be evaluated in the traditional sense since it is a generalized function. Instead, it is evaluated by integrating it over a small interval around the point of interest. The value of the integral is equal to 1 if the point is within the interval and 0 if the point is outside the interval.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the Dirac Delta Function?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of the Dirac Delta Function. One example is the modeling of a point charge in physics, where the charge is concentrated at a single point in space. Another example is the use of the function in signal processing to represent a sudden spike or impulse in a signal.