Calculating <ψ(t)|x|ψ(t)> in a Harmonic Oscillator Potential

But yes, that is correct. By the definition of the simple harmonic oscillator, those expectation values are zero.
Rococo

Homework Statement

A particle in a harmonic oscillator potential in the following state after a time t:

## | ψ(t) > = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [e^{(-iE_0 t/\hbar)} |ψ_0> + e^{(-iE_1 t/\hbar)} |ψ_1> ] ##

I want to write an expression for ## <ψ(t)| \hat{x} | ψ(t) > ##.

Homework Equations

The answer is meant to be:

## <ψ(t)| \hat{x} | ψ(t) > = \frac{1}{2} [ <ψ_0| \hat{x} | ψ_1> e^{-i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar)} + <ψ_1| \hat{x} | ψ_0> e^{-i(E_0 - E_1)t/\hbar)}] ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
## <ψ(t)| \hat{x} | ψ(t) > = \int{ψ^{*}(t) \hat{x} ψ(t)}##
## = \int{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} [ e^{(iE_0 t/\hbar)} ψ^{*}_0 + e^{(iE_1 t/\hbar)} ψ^{*}_1}] \hat{x} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[ e^{-(iE_0 t/\hbar)} ψ_0 + e^{-(iE_1 t/\hbar)} ψ_1] ##

## = \int{\frac{1}{2} [ e^{(iE_0 t/\hbar)} ψ^{*}_0 \hat{x} e^{-(iE_0 t/\hbar)} ψ_0 + e^{(iE_0 t/\hbar)} ψ^{*}_0 \hat{x} e^{-(iE_1 t/\hbar)} ψ_1 + e^{(iE_1 t/\hbar)} ψ^{*}_1} \hat{x} e^{-(iE_0 t/\hbar)} ψ_0 + e^{(iE_1 t/\hbar)} ψ^{*}_1} \hat{x} e^{-(iE_1 t/\hbar)} ψ_1 ##

## = \frac{1}{2} [<ψ_0| \hat{x} | ψ_0 > + e^{-i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar} <ψ_0| \hat{x} | ψ_1 > + e^{i(E_1 - E_0)t/\hbar} <ψ_1| \hat{x} | ψ_0 > + <ψ_1| \hat{x} | ψ_1> ]##

This is a different answer than it should be, where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is correct. You are just missing one step of simplification.

Orodruin said:
No, it is correct. You are just missing one step of simplification.

Do you say that ##<ψ_0| \hat{x} | ψ_0 >## and ##<ψ_1| \hat{x} | ψ_1 >## are expectation values of position, which for the simple harmonic oscillator, are zero?

I did not say it, I wanted you to do it.

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and quantum operations. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1930s as a concise and elegant way to describe quantum systems.

2. How is Dirac notation used in quantum mechanics?

Dirac notation is used to represent quantum states as vectors in a Hilbert space. The notation consists of two parts: the "bra" ❴ or ⟨, which represents the dual vector or "ket" ❵ or ⟩, which represents the vector itself. These two parts are combined to form the "bracket" ⟨❴❵⟩, which represents the inner product of two vectors.

3. What are the advantages of using Dirac notation?

Dirac notation provides a compact and unambiguous way to represent quantum states and operations. It also allows for easy manipulation and calculation of quantum systems using linear algebra operations. Additionally, the notation is independent of any specific basis, making it more general and applicable to a variety of quantum systems.

4. What are some common symbols used in Dirac notation?

Some common symbols used in Dirac notation include the bra ⟨❴, the ket ❵⟩, the inner product ⟨❴❵⟩, the outer product ❴❵⟩, and the identity operator 𝔹. Other symbols may be used to represent specific quantum operators or states.

5. How is Dirac notation related to other mathematical notations?

Dirac notation is closely related to linear algebra and vector notation. In fact, the "bra" and "ket" symbols are derived from the words "bra" and "ket" in the word "bracket". Additionally, the notation is often used in conjunction with matrix notation and tensor notation to represent more complex quantum systems.