Direct Sum of Vector Subspaces: Exploring the Relationship between U, W, and V

In summary, if A is assigned to B, then the number assigned to A is also the same as the number assigned to B. If A and B are different classes, then the number assigned to A is different from the number assigned to B.
Ted123

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1821/subspaces.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is my solution correct?:

For [itex]a,b\in \mathbb{C}[/itex]

let [itex]A=\begin{bmatrix} a \\ a \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}\in U[/itex] and [itex]B=\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ b \\ b \end{bmatrix}\in W[/itex]

Then [itex]A+B=\begin{bmatrix} a \\ a \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ b \\ b \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} a \\ a+b \\ b \end{bmatrix}\in \mathbb{C}^3[/itex]

How do I get from this that [itex]U+W=V[/itex] ?

Clearly the only vector in the intersection of U and W is the zero vector when [itex]a=b=0[/itex] so [itex]U\cap W = \{\bf 0} \}[/itex]

[itex]v = \begin{bmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{bmatrix} \in A \cap B \Rightarrow \begin{cases} a=b, c=0 \quad v \in A \\ a = 0, b=c \quad v \in B \end{cases} \Rightarrow a=b=c=0[/itex]

[itex]\therefore V = U\oplus W[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is indeed correct that the vectors in A+B have the form (a,a+b,b). Is it now true that every vector in V can be written in this form. I mean, if (x,y,z) is arbitrary, does there always exists a and b such that (a,a+b,b)=(x,y,z)?

If this is true, then A+B=V. If this is not true, then A+B is not V.

micromass said:
It is indeed correct that the vectors in A+B have the form (a,a+b,b). Is it now true that every vector in V can be written in this form. I mean, if (x,y,z) is arbitrary, does there always exists a and b such that (a,a+b,b)=(x,y,z)?

If this is true, then A+B=V. If this is not true, then A+B is not V.

Well it is true but how do I explicitly show it?

I don't think it is true...

micromass said:
I don't think it is true...

I can use the following can't I?

[itex]V = U\oplus W \iff U\cap W = \{0\}\;\text{and}\;\text{dim}(U) + \text{dim}(W) = \text{dim}(V)[/itex]

Now [itex]\text{dim}(V) = 3[/itex] but what's the dimensions of [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]W[/itex] ?

Take an arbitrary (x,y,z), does there always exist a and b such that (x,y,z)=(a,a+b,b)? If yes, what do a and b have to be??

micromass said:
Take an arbitrary (x,y,z), does there always exist a and b such that (x,y,z)=(a,a+b,b)? If yes, what do a and b have to be??

I've proved [itex]V\neq U\oplus W[/itex] by using the fact that

[itex]V = U\oplus W \iff U\cap W = \{{\bf 0}\}\;\text{and}\;\text{dim}(U+W) = \text{dim}(V)[/itex]

Although [itex]U\cap W = \{0\}[/itex] we have [itex]\text{dim}(V)=3[/itex]

and an obvious basis for [itex]U+V[/itex] is [itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 1 \\ \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

so [itex]\text{dim}(U+V)=2 \neq \text{dim}(V)[/itex] .

How do I check the two things in my other thread?
- if [A]=, then the assigned number is also the same
- if [A] and are different classes, then the assigned number is different.

Related to Direct Sum of Vector Subspaces: Exploring the Relationship between U, W, and V

1. What is a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three properties of closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. In other words, it is a collection of vectors within a larger vector space that can be added together and multiplied by scalars to produce new vectors that are also within the subspace.

2. How are vector subspaces related to direct sums?

A direct sum is a way of combining two or more vector subspaces to create a new subspace. This is done by adding together all possible combinations of vectors from each subspace. The resulting subspace will contain all the vectors that can be expressed as a sum of vectors from the original subspaces.

3. Can a vector belong to more than one subspace?

Yes, a vector can belong to more than one subspace. This is because a vector subspace is defined by its properties, not by specific vectors. As long as a vector satisfies the three properties of a subspace, it can be a part of multiple subspaces.

4. How can I determine if two subspaces are a direct sum?

To determine if two subspaces are a direct sum, you can use the intersection and addition test. First, find the intersection of the two subspaces. If the intersection is only the zero vector, then the subspaces are a direct sum. Next, check if the sum of the two subspaces is equal to the entire vector space. If it is, then the subspaces are a direct sum.

5. Can a direct sum include more than two subspaces?

Yes, a direct sum can include more than two subspaces. In fact, a direct sum can include any number of subspaces. This means that you can combine three, four, or even more subspaces to create a larger subspace that contains all possible combinations of vectors from the original subspaces.