1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct variation

1. Jun 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I going thorough some of my old notes and I saw this question for a proof.

If f is linear function but not a direct variation and not the constant function 0, then for every pair of real numbers a and c
    f(a + c) not equal to f(a)+f(c).

2. Relevant equations

y = mx ( a linear function ) m = y/x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't seem to get the logic together, a linear function that is actually a direct variation produces contant distances on a number line, so i would think a function that isnt a direct variation would be map irregular dstances.

I would like some direction as to how connect this the fact that additive distribution doesn't hold for such functions.

edit: I meant this for the precal section.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does this mean f(x) is a linear function of the form f(x)=a*x+b with b not equal to zero? (Is the case b=0 what you mean by a 'direct variation'?). In that case the proof is pretty easy. Just write out f(a+c) and f(a)+f(c) and compare them.
  4. Jun 22, 2007 #3
    hmmm thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?