Proof: Direct Variation & Linear Function Not Equal to 0

• Thread starter threetheoreom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, the conversation is about a proof involving a linear function that is not a direct variation and not the constant function 0. The question asks to prove that for every pair of real numbers a and c, f(a + c) is not equal to f(a) + f(c). The conversation discusses the logic behind this and provides a direction for solving the proof by considering the form of the function and comparing f(a + c) to f(a) + f(c).
threetheoreom

Homework Statement

I going thorough some of my old notes and I saw this question for a proof.

If f is linear function but not a direct variation and not the constant function 0, then for every pair of real numbers a and c
f(a + c) not equal to f(a)+f(c).

Homework Equations

y = mx ( a linear function ) m = y/x

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to get the logic together, a linear function that is actually a direct variation produces contant distances on a number line, so i would think a function that isn't a direct variation would be map irregular dstances.

I would like some direction as to how connect this the fact that additive distribution doesn't hold for such functions.

thanks

edit: I meant this for the precal section.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this mean f(x) is a linear function of the form f(x)=a*x+b with b not equal to zero? (Is the case b=0 what you mean by a 'direct variation'?). In that case the proof is pretty easy. Just write out f(a+c) and f(a)+f(c) and compare them.

Dick said:
Does this mean f(x) is a linear function of the form f(x)=a*x+b with b not equal to zero? (Is the case b=0 what you mean by a 'direct variation'?). In that case the proof is pretty easy. Just write out f(a+c) and f(a)+f(c) and compare them.

hmmm thanks.

FAQ: Proof: Direct Variation & Linear Function Not Equal to 0

1. What is direct variation in a linear function?

Direct variation is a relationship between two variables where one variable is a constant multiple of the other. In a linear function, this means that the ratio between the two variables remains constant as one variable changes.

2. How is direct variation represented in a linear function?

In a linear function, direct variation is represented by the slope of the line. The slope is the constant multiple that relates the change in the dependent variable to the change in the independent variable.

3. Can a linear function have a slope of 0?

Yes, a linear function can have a slope of 0. This means that the dependent variable does not change as the independent variable changes, and the line is horizontal.

4. What is the difference between direct variation and a linear function not equal to 0?

Direct variation is a specific type of linear function where the ratio between the variables remains constant. A linear function not equal to 0 can have any slope, including a slope of 0, and may or may not exhibit direct variation.

5. How is the concept of direct variation used in real-world applications?

Direct variation is commonly used in real-world applications to model relationships between two variables. For example, the relationship between distance and time in a constant speed scenario can be described using direct variation. It is also used in industries such as economics and physics to analyze and predict trends and patterns.

Back