Direction Fields for Systems of Differential Equations

In summary, Daveyman said that if you are trying to solve a system of differential equations, you need to plot the solution curves and determine which curve corresponds to a positive eigenvalue and which corresponds to a negative eigenvector.
daveyman

Homework Statement

Draw a direction field for the following differential equation:
[tex]x=c_1\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
\end{array}
\right)e^t+c_2\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
\end{array}
\right)e^{-t}[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

With a single differential equation, all you do is choose arbitrary x and y values and plug them into the differential equation. What you get is a slope, so you draw a little arrow with this slope at the point (x,y).

However, I don't know how to deal with a system of equations. If I choose arbitrary values for x and t, then I get multiple slopes. I can only draw one arrow at the point (x,t), so what do I do with multiple slopes?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Daveyman,

That looks more like a solution to a system of differential equations to me. In which case, we can sketch the direction field by first drawing the two eigenvectors (1,1) and (1,3), and then, since the first corresponds to a positive eigenvalue (the exponent of e is positive) and the latter corresponds to a negative eigenvector (negative exponent), we can sketch solution curves alongside the former that are directed away from the origin and solution curves alongside the latter directed towards the origin. In this case, the origin is called an (unstable) saddle point.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! So, you are saying I simply draw the two vectors and then draw curves tending towards/away from those vectors. Sounds easy enough, but would this be considered a direction field? Usually direction fields have lots of little arrows all over the place :-)

Arrows are necessary to indicate a curve directed towards or away from the origin.

From your reply, however, I'm a bit concerned about the relevance of my response. If you are unfamiliar with the concepts I described, then that won't be what is required of you. Could you provide some context to the question? It would be conceivable to have it as an exercise in plotting solutions curves with software, for example: choosing initial conditions, solving for c_1 and c_2, then plotting parametric plots.

Last edited:
Actually your response was very helpful. I understand now - thanks!

1. What are direction fields for systems of differential equations?

Direction fields for systems of differential equations are graphical representations of the behavior of a system of differential equations. They show the direction in which a solution curve would move at any given point in the plane, based on the slope of the differential equation at that point.

2. How are direction fields created?

To create a direction field, a grid of points is plotted on the plane, and the slope of the differential equation at each point is calculated. Arrows are then drawn at each point to show the direction of the slope. These arrows can be used to sketch potential solution curves for the system of differential equations.

3. What information can be determined from a direction field?

Direction fields can help determine the behavior of the solution curves for a system of differential equations. They can show where solutions are increasing or decreasing, where they are asymptotic, and where they intersect. Direction fields can also help identify critical points and regions where the solution curves are concave or convex.

4. How can direction fields be used to solve differential equations?

Direction fields can be used to sketch potential solution curves for a system of differential equations. By identifying key points on the direction field, such as critical points or regions of concavity, it is possible to determine the behavior of the solution curves and make predictions about their values at specific points.

5. Can direction fields be used for higher-order differential equations?

Yes, direction fields can be used for higher-order differential equations as well. However, the process of creating a direction field for higher-order differential equations may be more complex, as it involves calculating higher derivatives and plotting a larger grid of points. Additionally, the direction field may not always provide a complete representation of the behavior of the solution curves for higher-order differential equations.