Direction of Magnetic Force on a Wire Moving Down a Slope with Current I?

In summary: I just don't understand what you are asking. Can you please start from the beginning and quote the text of the problem?I... I just don't understand what you are asking. Can you please start from the beginning and quote the text of the problem?
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

A wire with a current of I (flowing into the screen) moves down on a slope.
What is the direction of the magnetic force acting on it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no Idea why the answer isn't horizontal, but rather opposing its velocity direction.

Attachments

• ללא שם.png
    ללא שם.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Says who ?
And: What exactly is your idea of the force ?
"request": Use the template in the way it is meant to be used...

BvU said:
Says who ?
And: What exactly is your idea of the force ?
"request": Use the template in the way it is meant to be used...
Says the answer in the book.
This is the EXACT setup
upload_2018-6-16_12-56-37.png

And in three different place I saw something different.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-16_12-56-37.png
    upload_2018-6-16_12-56-37.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 805
Eitan Levy said:
Says the answer in the book.
This is the EXACT setup View attachment 227008
And in three different place I saw something different.
In your original diagram you had the field vertical, but now you show force as vertical and field acting in the direction of v. Have you mislabelled the second diagram?
Also, the question as stated makes no reference to a field in the text. That only appears in the diagram. Did you quote the whole text?

haruspex said:
In your original diagram you had the field vertical, but now you show force as vertical and field acting in the direction of v. Have you mislabelled the second diagram?
Also, the question as stated makes no reference to a field in the text. That only appears in the diagram. Did you quote the whole text?
I apologize, this picture isn't the same.
The magnetic field is indeed vertical, as shown before. This is just another angle to look at it (This picture doesn't have anything to do with the problem, just the angle).

Eitan Levy said:
This picture doesn't have anything to do with the problem, just the angle
So what, exactly, is the answer given in the book?

haruspex said:
So what, exactly, is the answer given in the book?
It says the force is opposing the velocity.

Eitan Levy said:
It says the force is opposing the velocity.
That is a bit vague. It does not necessarily mean that it acts antiparallel to the velocity, merely that it is in a direction that resists the movement.

Eitan Levy said:

Homework Statement

Please make sure you have stated the problem exactly as given, word-for-word. Sometimes, the reason a student is having difficulty is that they have misinterpreted the wording of the problem.

Also, you attached a figure in your first post. Is this a figure that was provided with the statement of the problem, or is this a figure that you constructed yourself?

haruspex said:
That is a bit vague. It does not necessarily mean that it acts antiparallel to the velocity, merely that it is in a direction that resists the movement.
I think what the textbook means to say is that the force is in the exact opposite direction of the current. I don't think a simple question from an assumable simple textbook would say otherwise.

For the OP, I simple don't seem to understand what you are trying to say. Start from the beginning, quote the text of the problem, quote the answer. Only show us what is in the textbook. Then, completely separately, give us your opinion and what you think is happening.

lekh2003 said:
what the textbook means to say is that the force is in the exact opposite direction of the current.
Of the current? You mean, of the movement, perhaps? That is how Eitan is reading it, but that answer would be wrong.

haruspex said:
Of the current? You mean, of the movement, perhaps? That is how Eitan is reading it, but that answer would be wrong.
Ah, yes the movement. Opposite the movement. But OP simply needs to make the problem a little more clear.

lekh2003 said:
Opposite the movement.
But it would not be directly opposite to the movement, would it?

haruspex said:
But it would not be directly opposite to the movement, would it?
Okay, so if we use the right hand rule with the velocity downwards and to the right, and the magnetic field upwards, then the force moves with the current. So, it is parallel, but not opposite. This is confusing me as well now, I might as well wait for the OP to respond and then continue.

lekh2003 said:
the force moves with the current.
Not sure what you mean by that. There will be an induced current. It is unclear to me whether the current stated in the question is this induced current or additional to it, but whatever...
The force that results should be normal to the field and to the current, so horizontal.

Eitan Levy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no Idea why the answer isn't horizontal, but rather opposing its velocity direction.
Try googling Lenz's law.

Dadface said:
Try googling Lenz's law.
That only tells you the direction of the induced current. The resulting force will still be horizontal.

Related to Direction of Magnetic Force on a Wire Moving Down a Slope with Current I?

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is caused by the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of magnets and is also associated with the flow of electric currents.

How does magnetic force affect a wire?

When a wire carries an electric current, it creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field interacts with external magnetic fields, resulting in a force on the wire. The direction and magnitude of this force depend on the direction and strength of the external magnetic field.

What factors affect the magnetic force on a wire?

The magnetic force on a wire is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, the length and orientation of the wire, and the magnitude of the electric current flowing through the wire.

How can the magnetic force on a wire be calculated?

The magnetic force on a wire can be calculated using the formula F = I x L x B x sinθ, where F is the magnetic force, I is the electric current, L is the length of the wire, B is the external magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the wire and the direction of the magnetic field.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic force on a wire?

Magnetic force on a wire has numerous real-life applications, including electric motors, generators, headphones, speakers, and particle accelerators. It is also used in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines and in various industrial processes such as metal detection and magnetic levitation.