Understanding Moment Vectors and Positive Rotation Direction

In summary, when considering moments about an axis, positive moments are assumed to be counter-clockwise and positive forces are assumed to act in the positive directions of the x and y axes. This means that if a force has a negative value, it is still considered positive in terms of direction, but its magnitude is negative because it is acting in the negative direction. This applies to both force and moment vectors.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

Assuming positive x direction is counterclockwise, then why would the force 50n and 40n are turned clockwise ? (they have negative value)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20150915_100115.jpg
    IMG_20150915_100115.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement

Assuming positive x direction is counterclockwise, then why would the force 50n and 40n are turned clockwise ? (they have negative value)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's not that the positive x direction is necessarily CCW, it's that a CCW moment about the z-axis is assumed to be positive.

A positive (CCW) moment could be the result of a positive force multiplied by a positive distance from the axis of rotation or a negative force multiplied by a negative distance from the axis of rotation.

These force magnitudes are negative because the force vectors are acting in the negative direction.

Just like the positive moment direction is assumed to be CCW, positive forces are assumed to act in the positive x or y directions.

SteamKing said:
These force magnitudes are negative because the force vectors are acting in the negative direction.
One quibble: a magnitude is by definition non-negative. Vector components?

haruspex said:
One quibble: a magnitude is by definition non-negative. Vector components?
That's a fair description.

SteamKing said:
It's not that the positive x direction is necessarily CCW, it's that a CCW moment about the z-axis is assumed to be positive.

A positive (CCW) moment could be the result of a positive force multiplied by a positive distance from the axis of rotation or a negative force multiplied by a negative distance from the axis of rotation.

Just like the positive moment direction is assumed to be CCW, positive forces are assumed to act in the positive x or y directions.
ok, i understood that when the force 50n fall on 2m(50x2) ( the resultant force vector is in positive k direction , come out of the page . ) . If I do it in the form of 2 X 50 , then it would be in negative k direction , am i right ? can i do in this way ?

Last edited:
goldfish9776 said:
ok, i understood that when the force 50n fall on 2m(50x2) ( the resultant force vector is in positive k direction , come out of the page . ) . If I do it in the form of 2 X 50 , then it would be in negative k direction , am i right ? can i do in this way ?
It's not a force vector you are calculating here: it's a moment vector. Moment vectors result in rotation either clockwise or counter-clockwise w.r.t. a given axis, and one direction, either CW or CCW, is assumed to be positive. In the example problem from the OP, you are told that positive moments are assumed to be CCW w.r.t. the z-axis coming out of the paper, which also implies that positive forces are in the directions of the x and y axes.

Likes goldfish9776

What is the direction of rotation?

The direction of rotation refers to the direction in which an object rotates around its axis. It can either be clockwise or counterclockwise.

How do you determine the direction of rotation?

To determine the direction of rotation, you can use the right-hand rule. Simply point your right thumb in the direction of the rotation and curl your fingers. The direction in which your fingers curl is the direction of rotation.

What factors affect the direction of rotation?

The direction of rotation can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity and direction of the object, external forces acting on the object, and the shape and orientation of the object.

What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise rotation?

Clockwise rotation is when an object rotates in the same direction as the hands of a clock, while counterclockwise rotation is when an object rotates in the opposite direction. These directions are also referred to as clockwise or counterclockwise angular velocity.

Can the direction of rotation change?

Yes, the direction of rotation can change. This can happen if there is a change in the forces or external factors acting on the object, or if the object changes its shape or orientation. In some cases, an object can also change its direction of rotation due to internal forces, such as friction or torque.