Direction of the net force on the charge

I was just thinking about the direction the charges would move, not the direction of the force they would feel. But now I understand it better. Thanks again!In summary, in the conversation, the speaker discusses two problems involving charged spheres and their net forces. They clarify their confusion regarding the direction of the net force and their initial misunderstanding of the question. Ultimately, they understand that the net force on a charge is determined by the direction of the force it feels from other charges, not the direction it would move.
MIA6
I drew these pictures, so some letters came unclear, I will clarify them later in parentheses.
Chp9,46, the diagram represents two small charged spheres, A and B, 3 meters apart. Each sphere has a charge of +2.0*10^-6 coulomb. (The point in the middle is y)
If a positive charge is placed at point x, the direction of the net force on the charge will be
1) toward the left 2) toward the right.
I chose 2, because the two spheres are both positive, so when another positive charge came to point x, sphere A would react toward right because of the repelling; sphere B would point toward right as well, so Fnet will point toward right eventually. But answer was 1), How come it’s left?

2. Chp9,89 The diagram shows three small metal spheres with different charges. A has +10 coulombs, B has -10 coulombs, C has +5 coulombs.
Which vector best represents the net force on sphere B? The choices are in the digram. I chose 1 because the force exerted by A points to B, the force exerted by C points to B also, so consequently the net force should be 1), but answer was 4. If it were 4, then the force from A should have pointed to the left, and force from C should have pointed downward.

Thanks.

Attachments

• dchp946.jpg
    dchp946.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 417
  • dchp989.jpg
    dchp989.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi MIA6,

I think that you are just applying the directions to the wrong charges in these two problems.

MIA6 said:
I drew these pictures, so some letters came unclear, I will clarify them later in parentheses.
Chp9,46, the diagram represents two small charged spheres, A and B, 3 meters apart. Each sphere has a charge of +2.0*10^-6 coulomb. (The point in the middle is y)
If a positive charge is placed at point x, the direction of the net force on the charge will be
1) toward the left 2) toward the right.
I chose 2, because the two spheres are both positive, so when another positive charge came to point x, sphere A would react toward right because of the repelling;

It's true that sphere A would feel a force to the right. But the question is not asking about sphere A, it is asking about the charge at point X. Is the charge at X being pulled or pushed by sphere A? If it is being pushed, then the force it feels will be to the left.

sphere B would point toward right as well, so Fnet will point toward right eventually. But answer was 1), How come it’s left?

2. Chp9,89 The diagram shows three small metal spheres with different charges. A has +10 coulombs, B has -10 coulombs, C has +5 coulombs.
Which vector best represents the net force on sphere B? The choices are in the digram. I chose 1 because the force exerted by A points to B, the force exerted by C points to B also, so consequently the net force should be 1), but answer was 4. If it were 4, then the force from A should have pointed to the left, and force from C should have pointed downward.

Thanks.

Here they are asking for the force that B experiences. Is A pushing or pulling charge B? Since the force from A is attractive, the force that B experience is toward A, which is to the left. (And then you can think of the force from C the same way.)

Hi,alphysicist, thanks for your explanations. Now I know what my mistake was.

1. What is the direction of the net force on a charge?

The direction of the net force on a charge is determined by the direction of the electric field at the location of the charge. If the charge is positive, the force will be in the same direction as the electric field. If the charge is negative, the force will be in the opposite direction of the electric field.

2. How is the direction of the net force on a charge determined?

The direction of the net force on a charge is determined by the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the charge. These forces include electric forces, magnetic forces, and any other external forces present.

3. Do all charges experience the same direction of net force?

No, the direction of the net force on a charge depends on the specific location and orientation of the charge in the presence of other charges and external forces. Charges can experience different directions of net force at different points in space.

4. Can the direction of the net force on a charge change?

Yes, the direction of the net force on a charge can change if the external conditions, such as the electric field or other forces, change. The net force on a charge will always change if there is a change in the direction or magnitude of the electric field at the location of the charge.

5. How does the direction of the net force on a charge affect its motion?

The direction of the net force on a charge determines the direction of its acceleration. If the net force is in the same direction as the charge's velocity, it will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction of the charge's velocity, it will slow down. If the net force is perpendicular to the charge's velocity, it will cause the charge to change direction.