1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional Derivative for f(x)

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is it possible to take the directional derivative of a function of a single variable?
    For example if f(x)=sinx and the unit vector specifying the direction is u=<cos pi/4, sin pi/4>,
    then could you say that duf = .5*(sqrt2)*cosx ???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I vote no. The question looks meaningless to me. If they had said f(x,y)=sin(x) then I might agree with that.

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure, you can do it in 1D. Say your function is ##f(x)=-x^2## Then ##\nabla f = -2x\vec i##. Now suppose, for example, this function represents the temperature in a 1D rod along the x-axis. At ##x=2## we have ##\nabla f(2) = -4\vec i##. Notice that the gradient points the direction of maximum increase in temperature (##-\vec i##) and its magnitude gives the rate of change in that direction.

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True, but what can you do with "the unit vector specifying the direction is u=<cos pi/4, sin pi/4>"?

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5
    Maybe you can take the gradient of a function of a single variable but just not the directional derivative? It seems to me now that the directional derivative wouldn't make any sense for f(x) because you can't vary x in a "direction". Varying x in the negative or positive direction still gives you the same result for the derivative, I think.

But since duf=gradf . u I think they might both have to go.

7. Mar 29, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are only two directions in one dimension- "left" and "right" (as opposed to an infinite number of directions in two or more dimensions).

You can think of the two directional derivatives of f(x) at x= a as f'(a) (to the right) and -f'(a) (to the left).

8. Mar 29, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nothing, of course. I just answered the question I think he meant to ask. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook