Directional Derivative for f(x)

In summary, the question is meaningless and I do not think it is possible to take the directional derivative of a function of a single variable.

Homework Statement

Is it possible to take the directional derivative of a function of a single variable?
For example if f(x)=sinx and the unit vector specifying the direction is u=<cos pi/4, sin pi/4>,
then could you say that duf = .5*(sqrt2)*cosx ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I vote no. The question looks meaningless to me. If they had said f(x,y)=sin(x) then I might agree with that.

Sure, you can do it in 1D. Say your function is ##f(x)=-x^2## Then ##\nabla f = -2x\vec i##. Now suppose, for example, this function represents the temperature in a 1D rod along the x-axis. At ##x=2## we have ##\nabla f(2) = -4\vec i##. Notice that the gradient points the direction of maximum increase in temperature (##-\vec i##) and its magnitude gives the rate of change in that direction.

LCKurtz said:
Sure, you can do it in 1D. Say your function is ##f(x)=-x^2## Then ##\nabla f = -2x\vec i##. Now suppose, for example, this function represents the temperature in a 1D rod along the x-axis. At ##x=2## we have ##\nabla f(2) = -4\vec i##. Notice that the gradient points the direction of maximum increase in temperature (##-\vec i##) and its magnitude gives the rate of change in that direction.

True, but what can you do with "the unit vector specifying the direction is u=<cos pi/4, sin pi/4>"?

Maybe you can take the gradient of a function of a single variable but just not the directional derivative? It seems to me now that the directional derivative wouldn't make any sense for f(x) because you can't vary x in a "direction". Varying x in the negative or positive direction still gives you the same result for the derivative, I think.

But since duf=gradf . u I think they might both have to go.

There are only two directions in one dimension- "left" and "right" (as opposed to an infinite number of directions in two or more dimensions).

You can think of the two directional derivatives of f(x) at x= a as f'(a) (to the right) and -f'(a) (to the left).

Dick said:
True, but what can you do with "the unit vector specifying the direction is u=<cos pi/4, sin pi/4>"?

Nothing, of course. I just answered the question I think he meant to ask. :uhh:

1. What is the directional derivative for f(x)?

The directional derivative for f(x) is a measure of how a function changes in a specific direction at a given point. It tells us the rate of change of a function in the direction of a vector at a particular point.

2. How is the directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative can be calculated using the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector in the direction of interest. It can also be expressed as the product of the gradient of the function and the cosine of the angle between the gradient vector and the direction vector.

3. What is the significance of the directional derivative?

The directional derivative helps us understand how a function changes in a specific direction, which is useful in optimization problems. It also allows us to determine the direction of steepest ascent or descent for a given function.

4. Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative. It indicates a decrease in the function in the direction of interest. A positive directional derivative indicates an increase in the function in that direction.

5. How is the directional derivative used in real-world applications?

The directional derivative is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the rate of change of a function in a specific direction is important. For example, it can be used to optimize the shape of an airplane wing for maximum lift or to determine the direction of the fastest current in a river.