1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Directions of Impulse?

1. Jul 27, 2017 #1
    This is in relation to a homework question: But I don't need assistance on the question itself, but the concept behind it.

A mass of .4kg travels in the positive direction for 67m/s until a separate force is applied to M in the negative direction at 14m/s for .027 seconds. Impulse = 32.4 It then asks, "What is the average magnitude of the force?"

I'm more confused on the wording - as to what is it asking specifically? Why is the force being asked to be represented as a magnitude when it should have direction as well?

J = F Δt
    F=J/Δt
    F= -32.4N*s/.027s
    F=-1200N

Yet the answer states 1200N. Impulse should be negative, since it's coming in from the negative direction, right?

What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2017 #2
    It asks for the magnitude of the force, so therefore it would always be positive.

You also seem to be confusing impulse and impact; the former is the change in momentum not the force applied.

4. Jul 27, 2017 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

It probably should have been worded "magnitude of the average force"

5. Jul 27, 2017 #4
    I don't follow. I calculated the change of time in there: J=FΔt.

That makes more sense. I realized I calculated directions into it when it didn't ask for it.

6. Jul 27, 2017 #5
    1200 Newtons is not the impulse; I'm not sure whether you thought it was or not.

7. Jul 27, 2017 #6
    No no. Impulse was 32.4N*s in the negative direction. 1200N is the force.

8. Jul 27, 2017 #7
    Oh, okay. It all seems good. :smile:

9. Jul 29, 2017 #8
    Well, force consists of both a magnitude and a direction. You were already given the direction (the negative direction) so the only thing that's left to determine is the magnitude :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted