Calculating Impulse and Force: Understanding the Concept Behind It

• Thread starter Ignitia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the conversation is about a homework question regarding the concept of impulse and force. The question asks for the average magnitude of the force applied to an object with given mass and velocity. The confusion arises from the wording of the question and the difference between impulse and impact. The question should have specified the magnitude of the force instead of asking for the "average" force. The final answer is 1200 Newtons, which is the magnitude of the force without considering its direction.
Ignitia
This is in relation to a homework question: But I don't need assistance on the question itself, but the concept behind it.

A mass of .4kg travels in the positive direction for 67m/s until a separate force is applied to M in the negative direction at 14m/s for .027 seconds. Impulse = 32.4 It then asks, "What is the average magnitude of the force?"

I'm more confused on the wording - as to what is it asking specifically? Why is the force being asked to be represented as a magnitude when it should have direction as well?

J = F Δt
F=J/Δt
F= -32.4N*s/.027s
F=-1200N

Yet the answer states 1200N. Impulse should be negative, since it's coming in from the negative direction, right?

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
It asks for the magnitude of the force, so therefore it would always be positive.

You also seem to be confusing impulse and impact; the former is the change in momentum not the force applied.

It probably should have been worded "magnitude of the average force"

person123 said:
You also seem to be confusing impulse and impact; the former is the change in momentum not the force applied.
I don't follow. I calculated the change of time in there: J=FΔt.

Dale said:
It probably should have been worded "magnitude of the average force"
That makes more sense. I realized I calculated directions into it when it didn't ask for it.

1200 Newtons is not the impulse; I'm not sure whether you thought it was or not.

person123 said:
1200 Newtons is not the impulse; I'm not sure whether you thought it was or not.
No no. Impulse was 32.4N*s in the negative direction. 1200N is the force.

Likes person123
Oh, okay. It all seems good. :smile:

Likes Ignitia
Well, force consists of both a magnitude and a direction. You were already given the direction (the negative direction) so the only thing that's left to determine is the magnitude :).

1. What is the difference between impulse and force?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object, while force is the push or pull of an object that causes it to change its motion.

2. How do you calculate impulse?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the change in time that the force is applied. Mathematically, it can be represented as I = F * Δt.

3. What is the relationship between impulse and force?

Impulse and force are directly related. The greater the force applied to an object, the greater the impulse and change in momentum will be.

4. How is impulse and force used in real-life applications?

Impulse and force are important concepts in understanding and predicting the motion of objects. They are used in various fields such as sports, engineering, and transportation to calculate the impact of forces and design safer and more efficient systems.

5. Can impulse and force be negative?

Yes, both impulse and force can be negative. A negative impulse indicates a decrease in momentum, while a negative force indicates a push or pull in the opposite direction of motion.