Discover the Reason Behind Adding 32 to the Formula for Converting °C to °F

• Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
In summary: The reason for this was because people in maritime nations wanted to use the same scale as their salt water freezing point.
parshyaa
How we got this formula i know that the ratio of scale difference is 180/100 =9/5 but why to add 32, is it because °F at 0°c is + 32

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes. Plug in a few numbers and you'll see.

Likes parshyaa
parshyaa said:
How we got this formula i know that the ratio of scale difference is 180/100 =9/5 but why to add 32, is it because °F at 0°c is + 32
The 0 was moved to be the freezing point of water. Here is some info:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/12/fahrenheit-scale-isnt-arbitrary-seems/

(interestingly, originally the freezing point of water was 100°C, and the boiling point was 0°C, but Carl Linnaeus made that modification- Good read)

Likes parshyaa
I'm not sure how clear it is in the references, but for seafaring nations like Britain and Denmark, the freezing temperature of salt water is very significant. So setting the 0 of the Fahrenheit scale at that point makes sense. Maritime issues drove the development of clocks, thermometers, etc.

Likes Battlemage!, parshyaa and DrClaude
upload_2016-12-23_19-53-26.png

Likes Nikhil faraday, Battlemage! and parshyaa
The other well-known conversion method, based on the -40° coincidence of the two scales is, I think, easier to remember. The fact that I no longer remember it is utterly irrelevant.

Likes parshyaa
FactChecker said:
I'm not sure how clear it is in the references, but for seafaring nations like Britain and Denmark, the freezing temperature of salt water is very significant. So setting the 0 of the Fahrenheit scale at that point makes sense. Maritime issues drove the development of clocks, thermometers, etc.

I fortified myself to argue with you with the aid of Google, which asserts that seawater freezes at 28.4°F. I seem to remember that Fahrenheit produced the lowest temperature possible to him in the day in his laboratory to get to his zero.

Likes FactChecker
David J Wilson said:
I fortified myself to argue with you with the aid of Google, which asserts that seawater freezes at 28.4°F. I seem to remember that Fahrenheit produced the lowest temperature possible to him in the day in his laboratory to get to his zero.
I am certainly not an expert in the history of this. I have seen it said a few times that 0°F is the freezing point of brine. (This reference says that 0°F was the lowest temperature he could get reliably by freezing brine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brine . That makes sense to me.) I might have seen it explained as important for sailing, I don't remember. Maybe I just erroneously jumped to that conclusion. Certainly he would have wanted to include the temperature of freezing sea water in his temperature range.

Last edited:
Is there an explanation as to why the two scales match up so nicely? The defined points are rather arbitrarily chosen.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Is there an explanation as to why the two scales match up so nicely? The defined points are rather arbitrarily chosen.

It is because the original definition of Fahrenheit was replaced in 1776 with one where 32 °F is 0 °C and 212 °F is 100 °C.

Likes rbelli1

Related to Discover the Reason Behind Adding 32 to the Formula for Converting °C to °F

1. What is the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit is °F = 9/5(°C) + 32. This equation represents the relationship between the two temperature scales.

2. Why is the number 32 used in the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit?

The number 32 is used in the formula because it represents the freezing point of water in Fahrenheit. When water freezes, it becomes solid at 32°F.

3. How do I convert a temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius?

To convert a temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius, you can use the formula °C = (°F - 32) * 5/9. This equation is the inverse of the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit.

4. Is the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit always accurate?

The formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit is an approximation and may not always give an exact conversion. This is because the two temperature scales use different intervals for measuring temperature. However, for most practical purposes, the formula is accurate enough.

5. Can I use the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit for any temperature?

Yes, you can use the formula for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit for any temperature. It is a mathematical equation that can be applied to any value in Celsius to get the corresponding value in Fahrenheit.