Is It Ever Too Late to Start Learning Physics?

• Thread starter AnnieMama9
  • Start date
In summary, discovering physics is a journey that involves both curiosity and wisdom. It is a field of study that seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, from the tiniest particles to the largest galaxies. Through observation, experimentation, and critical thinking, physicists have made groundbreaking discoveries and advancements, leading to new technologies and a deeper understanding of the world around us. This journey of exploration continues to inspire curiosity and drive the quest for knowledge and understanding.
AnnieMama9
:smile:Hi,
I am AnnieMama for now. I am new to social media so have no idea what I am doing. You all sound so bright and know so much! Which is great! I have never studied Physics, but have always wanted to, so maybe I'll take a class somewhere this summer. I'm a former ballet dancer turned Elem. school teacher (now retired), and Science was my favorite subject to teach. I was also fortunate in getting to see a NASA launch (and a landing, which was fascinating.)MY best friend worked there. Thanks again for having me! --Annie

Likes drvrm
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi there. Thanks for the welcome! I agree with OmCheeto based on this quote, but have not read his work. I know more about Physiology and Anatomy because I had to take it in Med school as all the other sections were closed, and how things work at the 3rd grade level (grin) such as volcanos, clouds, pkants, etc.
I also have some knowledge (only a little) of aerodynamics from my NASA visits.
LOVE Quantum Physics. Always understand what I read but never retain enough to explain it
Say, at the risk of imposing on you, do you know how I reach other members on the Board? It has just been so long since I used message boards, and I want to thank the people who sent me trophies. I am signing up for a course of social media, but it will take a while. Consider this a LIKE, since I don't knw even how to do that. (Duh! Dumb, I know, but I was growing up in a different era. I did once Program computers in BAL but that's not helpful to me now.
Thanks (and a LIKE here)!--Annie

Welcome to PF

You don't really "reach other members" here except on rare occasions. This is not facebook or that kind of social media place at all, it's a forum for asking science questions. You CAN "PM" (private message) people here but it isn't normally done. Questions are for the open forums. When you ask a question, you never know who is going to answer and all followup is, again, in the open forum.

There is a section for chit-chat, called the "General Discussion" which is more like what you are probably thinking of.

phinds said:
Welcome to PF

You don't really "reach other members" here except on rare occasions. This is not facebook or that kind of social media place at all, it's a forum for asking science questions. You CAN "PM" (private message) people here but it isn't normally done. Questions are for the open forums. When you ask a question, you never know who is going to answer and all followup is, again, in the open forum.

There is a section for chit-chat, called the "General Discussion" which is more like what you are probably thinking of.

Forum takes a bit of getting used to. You used the "quote" button to quote my post but then you hit "post reply" before you added any comment to that post, which is what one normally does after quoting someone's comment.

EDIT: you can use the "edit" button (for a limited time) to go back and edit your post.

AnnieMama9 said:
I am signing up for a course of social media, but it will take a while.
Welcome to the PF.

We are not so much a social media website (although sometimes PF threads/stories are linked to via social media). To learn how to use the PF, you can hover your mouse over INFO in the top right of the screen, and click on Help/How-To. :smile:

AnnieMama9 said:
Thanks for the welcome! I agree with OmCheeto based on this quote, but have not read his work.

*gasp*
@OmCheeto
Om! We need your fishy-aftertaste flavored wisdom, stat!

Drakkith said:
*gasp*
@OmCheeto
Om! We need your fishy-aftertaste flavored wisdom, stat!

If you're curious about my brilliance, Annie, here is some of my best work:
Perpetual Motion machine [It worked exactly as I suspected it would]
Over-unity Device [input energy: 42 watt-hours, output energy 2300 watt-hours. I finally started building a production model last summer.]

I'm also very wise:
Om said:
Niaboc67 said:
Therefore my question is; what is it for you that helps you gain a better conceptual understanding of physics?
Books, school, and physics forums. This is the 3rd physics forum I've joined. The first two disappeared. Bad business models, IMHO. But this is probably why I'm a late comer to PF. Why go shopping for a Ferrari, when your Edsel still kind of gets you to where you are going.

I'm also apparently associated with "Garden Gnomes"; "OmCheeto called to inform me I owe him for several chewed up lawn gnomes and several littering fines."
Though I have no recollection of making such a phone call.

Anyways, :welcome: :oldsmile:

Likes Drakkith

Related to Is It Ever Too Late to Start Learning Physics?

1. What is the main purpose of "Discovering Physics: A Journey of Curiosity and Wisdom"?

The main purpose of "Discovering Physics: A Journey of Curiosity and Wisdom" is to introduce readers to the fundamental concepts and principles of physics and to encourage a sense of curiosity and wonder about the natural world.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone with an interest in physics, from high school students to adults. It is also suitable for those with a basic understanding of math and science.

3. What topics are covered in "Discovering Physics: A Journey of Curiosity and Wisdom"?

This book covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also explores the history of physics and the contributions of famous scientists.

4. How is this book different from other physics textbooks?

This book is different from other physics textbooks in that it focuses not only on the scientific principles, but also on the process of discovery and the human element of physics. It also includes thought-provoking questions and real-world examples to engage readers in critical thinking.

5. Can this book be used as a standalone resource for learning physics?

Yes, "Discovering Physics: A Journey of Curiosity and Wisdom" can be used as a standalone resource for learning physics. However, it is recommended to supplement it with other resources, such as lectures, labs, and practice problems, for a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.