Discrete Geommetry

• Thread starter lokofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary, Discrete Geommetry can be used to approximate smooth manifolds. The metric and other differential geommetry identities are still valid, but may need to be approximated.
lokofer
"Discrete" Geommetry...

-What can you do if you have a "Smooth" Manifold..but it's very hard to work with?..perhaps you could "discretize" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: the surface splitting it into "triangles" and take the basic coordinates to be the angles (3) of every triangle..but my question is What would happen with the Metric the "ricci Tensor" (Riemann Tensor contracted ?) and other Differential Geommetry identities?.. How could you recover them or calculate them approximately?..thanks.

- for example an idea applied to Gr you have the Einstein Hamiltonian..if you discretize it using the angles of every "triangle" you would have:

[tex] L= \sqrt (-g) R \rightarrow L( \theta_i (t), \dot \theta_i (t),t) [/tex] for i=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,... From this Lagrangian i could obtain the Hamiltonian and hence the "Energy levels"...but I'm missing [tex] R_{ab} [/tex] and metric Tensor...How could i achieve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
lokofer said:
-What can you do if you have a "Smooth" Manifold..but it's very hard to work with?..perhaps you could "discretize" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: the surface splitting it into "triangles" and take the basic coordinates to be the angles (3) of every triangle.

My understanding of smooth manifolds is that you could express them precisely with overlapping triangles, the triangles being open subsets of the plane. From my expierience with approximating smooth manifolds with discrete polygons, I can tell you that repeated application of any differential operator will make the solution more singular, or jagged. I was under the impression however, that the Ricci tensor is a smoothing operation, so perhaps it's an integral operator.

- The Main problem here is "Obsessive... " that GR can't be managed in such an easy way if you don't use "discrete Polygons" (simplices ?) because then it would be a system with Infinite degrees of freedom..using discrete Polygons and its angles so "Gauss-Bonet" theorem applies [tex] \pi - \sum _j \theta _j (t) = K(t)dA [/tex] where dA= Area of triangle, K is the "Curvature" of the surface (Associated to Riemann Tensor perhaps? ) and t is the time..in that case you can apply usual Quantization process so [tex] H( \theta _i (t) ,P_{\theta _i })\Psi ( \theta _i )=E_{n} \Psi(\theta _i ) [/tex] but i would like to know if given each "angle" depending on time you can recover the usual "Geommetry" elements and Tensor.

What is Discrete Geometry?

Discrete Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with geometric structures that are made up of a finite number of points, lines, and planes.

What are some applications of Discrete Geometry?

Discrete Geometry has many real-world applications, including computer graphics, robotics, computer vision, and cryptography. It is also used in areas such as urban planning and architecture.

How is Discrete Geometry different from Continuous Geometry?

The main difference between Discrete Geometry and Continuous Geometry is that Discrete Geometry deals with geometric structures that have a finite number of elements, while Continuous Geometry deals with structures that have an infinite number of elements. Additionally, Discrete Geometry uses discrete mathematics and combinatorics to study these structures, while Continuous Geometry uses calculus and other continuous methods.

What are some common examples of Discrete Geometric objects?

Some common examples of Discrete Geometric objects include polygons, polyhedra, graphs, and lattices. These objects are made up of a finite number of points and lines, making them ideal for study in Discrete Geometry.

How is Discrete Geometry used in computer graphics?

Discrete Geometry is a fundamental tool in computer graphics, as it allows for the creation and manipulation of geometric shapes in a digital environment. It is used in 3D modeling, rendering, animation, and other aspects of computer graphics to create realistic and visually appealing images and animations.