Can Rational and Irrational Numbers Multiply to Yield an Irrational Product?

In summary: If y is rational, then x^y is algebraic. So if x is rational and x^y is transcendental, then y would necessarily be irrational. With these observations you can produce tons of examples of rational x and irrational y such that x^y is irrational - indeed transcendental.
Shackleford
Prove or disprove that there is a rational number x and an irrational number y such that xy is irrational.

The book works out the case with x and y irrational and xy rational. They used the nonconstructive existence proof method with x = sqrt(2) and y = sqrt(2). If that's rational, then you're finished. If it's irrational, then you can simply raise it to the power of sqrt(2) to get 2. I'm not sure how to adapt this approach to this problem. If it is irrational, then you're finished. If it's rational, then I'm not sure how to show you manipulate it to be irrational.

Suppose that a and b are odd integers with [itex]a\neq{b}.[/itex] Show there is a unique integer c such that |a - c| = |b - c|.

I know this is an easy problem, but I'm stumped for some reason. I've tried to find a general expression for c. The uniqueness method is appropriate here. I first need to show that an integer c with that property does exist. I then need to show that it's unique.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:
The book works out the case with x and y irrational and xy rational. They used the nonconstructive existence proof method with x = sqrt(2) and y = sqrt(2). If that's rational, then you're finished. If it's irrational, then you can simply raise it to the power of sqrt(2) to get 2. I'm not sure how to adapt this approach to this problem. If it is irrational, then you're finished. If it's rational, then I'm not sure how to show you manipulate it to be irrational.
Do you know anything about transcendental numbers?

I know this is an easy problem, but I'm stumped for some reason. I've tried to find a general expression for c. The uniqueness method is appropriate here. I first need to show that an integer c with that property does exist. I then need to show that it's unique.
Try to think geometrically, i.e. draw a and b on a line. Where does c lie?

morphism said:
Do you know anything about transcendental numbers?Try to think geometrically, i.e. draw a and b on a line. Where does c lie?

I'm rusty on transcendental numbers.

I didn't think to consider the problem geometrically. Good idea. Of course, c is the value that gives the intersection of the two "functions."

Shackleford said:

I didn't think to consider the problem geometrically. Good idea. Of course, c is the value that gives the intersection of the two "functions."
Or more geometrically, c is the integer right smack in between the two odd integers a and b.

Mark44 said:
Or more geometrically, c is the integer right smack in between the two odd integers a and b.

Last night I came up with a few distance-related equations. One was [abs(a) + abs(b)]/2.

Shackleford said:
Okay, that's fine. If you were comfortable with transcendental numbers, then there's a conceptual way of seeing how x^y could be irrational. (Here is the sketch: if both x and y were rational, then x^y would be algebraic. So if x is rational and x^y is transcendental, then y would necessarily be irrational. With these observations you can produce tons of examples of rational x and irrational y such that x^y is irrational - indeed transcendental.)

Anyway, here's another approach. For simplicity let's suppose that x is an integer, and let's look at x^y. Choose your favorite irrational number z. If x^y=z, what can you say about y?

morphism said:
Okay, that's fine. If you were comfortable with transcendental numbers, then there's a conceptual way of seeing how x^y could be irrational. (Here is the sketch: if both x and y were rational, then x^y would be algebraic. So if x is rational and x^y is transcendental, then y would necessarily be irrational. With these observations you can produce tons of examples of rational x and irrational y such that x^y is irrational - indeed transcendental.)

Anyway, here's another approach. For simplicity let's suppose that x is an integer, and let's look at x^y. Choose your favorite irrational number z. If x^y=z, what can you say about y?

I just made myself familiar with the terms algebraic and transcendental numbers. All transcendental numbers are irrational, but not all irrational numbers are transcendental. The square root of 2 is an example of an irrational algebraic number. I'll give an example. It's probably a bit nasty. Haha.

x^y = e
2^y = e

y = log2(e) which is clearly irrational.

For the second part, if z is irrational and x is rational, then y could be rational or irrational.

Last edited:

1. What is discrete math and why is it important?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects rather than continuous ones. It is important because it provides the foundation for many areas of computer science, including algorithms, cryptography, and data structures.

2. What are some common applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has various applications in computer science, engineering, and other fields. Some common applications include network optimization, scheduling, coding theory, and game theory.

3. How is discrete math different from other branches of mathematics?

Unlike other branches of mathematics that deal with continuous objects, discrete math focuses on finite, countable objects. It uses logic and mathematical reasoning to solve problems and often involves working with sets, functions, and graphs.

4. What skills are required to be successful in solving discrete math problems?

To be successful in solving discrete math problems, one needs to have a strong foundation in algebra, logic, and set theory. It also requires critical thinking, pattern recognition, and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any resources available for learning and practicing discrete math?

Yes, there are plenty of online resources available for learning and practicing discrete math, including textbooks, lectures, and practice problems. Many universities also offer online courses and tutorials on discrete math.