1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete math textbook problem

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the domain and image of f such that
    f(x) = {(x,y) [tex] \in R \times R \vert x = \sqrt{y+3} [/tex]
    and domain and image of g such that
    g = {[tex] (\alpha,\beta) \vert \alpha is a person, \beta is a person, \alpha is the father of \beta [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    the domain and image are what would be expected of domain and image. No unstandard definitions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the answers in the back of the book are wrong. I will state my answers, the ones in the book have the opposite for domain and range (although it is a copyright 2009 book). It is also possible that I am wrong.

okay for f, the function can be rewritten by substituing [tex] \sqrt{y+3} [/tex] for x.Then ,
    f = {[tex] (\sqrt{y+3},y) \vert y \in R [/tex]. This means that the domain will consist of values that are bigger or equal to -3. So, [tex] dom f = \{x \vert x \in R , x \geq -3 \} [/tex]. And following that, the image of f is the set of values that are greater than or equal to zero. [tex] im f = \{y \vert y \in R, y \geq 0 \}[/tex].

For the second one. The domain is all people who are fathers, and the image is all people.(assuming that any person has a father where father denotes only a biological relationship).

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the first problem, and assuming that by domain the text's author means the set of x values, x has to be >= 0. The range is {y >= -3}.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    Ah yes, because [tex] x = \sqrt{y+3} [/tex], it would be impossible to have an x that is negative. Although, in case y is as small as possible, x can be zero. Thus, x >= 0. Now on the case of y, flip the radical and get that y = x^2 - 3. x >= 0, thus y >= -3. I see, I guess I fell into the trap the author wanted me to fall into.

Now for the second one. Was I wrong here too? I think I am right, but now I am confused?
    let P = the set of all people
    let R(a,b) be the relation that a is the father of b.

g = [tex] \{ (\alpha,\beta) \vert \alpha,\beta \in P, R(\alpha,\beta) \} [/tex]

The domain of the function g should be the set of all people who are fathers. The image should be the set of all people who have fathers, in other words, all people. Is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?