How Can You Simplify the Set Expression (A ∪ B ∪ C) ∩ ((A ∩ B) ∪ C)?

In summary: But this is the same as:(A ∪ B ∪ C) = xSo the first step would be:(A ∪ B ∪ C) ∩ (A ∩ B) = x
MartianVision

Homework Statement

The question is, simplify this equation:
(A ∪ B ∪ C) ∩ ((A ∩ B) ∪ C)

The correct answer is (A ∩ B) ∪ C

Homework Equations

We have been given the commulative, associative, distributive, identity, complement and idempotent laws and DeMorgan's laws, and I researched the absorption laws myself.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing:
(A ∪ B ∪ C) = x
(A ∩ B) = y
C = z <-- ((I know this isn't necessary, but thought it might make things easier)

From there I did:
(A ∪ B ∪ C) ∩ ((A ∩ B) ∪ C) = x ∩ (y ∪ z)
= (x ∪ y) ∩ (x ∪ z)
= ((A ∪ B ∪ C) ∪ (A ∩ B)) ∩ ((A ∪ B ∪ C) ∪ C)
= (A ∪ B ∪ C) ∩ (A ∪ B ∪ C) <-- I'm guessing I went wrong here, but I'm not too sure?
= (A ∪ B ∪ C)

I've tried a few other methods, but this one is the one that makes most sense.When I try to draw a venn diagram, I just don't understand how it isn't (A ∪ B ∪ C). I'm completely stumped :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate those algebraic reductions, since K-maps are SO much easier (I'm an engineer ... I go for easy) and a K-map quickly shows that what you have listed as the correct answer IS the correct answer. I would think that a Venn diagram would show that fairly well also, but again, I prefer K-maps.

I just tried drawing another venn diagram, and I did get (A ∩ B) ∪ C. But the question is worded to find it out algebraically. So I'm a little reluctant to do just a Venn Diagram or K-Map to figure out the question, more just doing it using the algebraic laws of sets.

After drawing the Venn diagram, I'm right in thinking that the following logic is correct:
(These are made up equations, not out of the book)
if A ⊂ (B ∪ C)
then:
A ∩ (B ∪ C) = B ∪ C

If so, then to answer the question, the first step would be this:
(A ∪ B ∪ C) ∩ ((A ∩ B) ∪ C) = ((A ∩ B) ∪ C)

Related to How Can You Simplify the Set Expression (A ∪ B ∪ C) ∩ ((A ∩ B) ∪ C)?

1. What is Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, such as integers, graphs, and finite sets. It focuses on the study of mathematical structures that are countable or can be broken down into smaller, distinct parts.

2. What are the applications of Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics has various applications in computer science, cryptography, networking, and many other fields. It is used to solve problems related to algorithms, data structures, and logical reasoning.

3. What are the fundamental concepts of Discrete Mathematics?

The fundamental concepts of Discrete Mathematics include sets, relations, functions, combinatorics, graph theory, and logic. These concepts are essential in understanding the principles and applications of Discrete Mathematics.

4. Is Discrete Mathematics difficult to learn?

The difficulty level of Discrete Mathematics varies depending on the individual's background and mathematical experience. It can be challenging for some people, but with proper study and practice, it can be understood and applied effectively.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Discrete Mathematics?

Practicing problems and solving exercises is the best way to improve understanding of Discrete Mathematics. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online courses, and tutorials can also aid in learning and mastering the subject.