Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Response DOE Question

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Hi Everyone,

Im looking for some assistance on a problem that I have been working on for the last few weeks. I would like to optimise the performance of an accounts receivable department. In this dept there are several tools available to obtain a commitment to pay such as letters, phone calls, sms and others. I would like to run an experiment to determine the optimal use of these tools and I suspect that there may be some interactions between these factors.

I have researching how I can run a simple design of experiments to determine the optimal treatment. For example I could run a simple 2 level 2 factorial experiment:

Factors: Response:
    Letter Call Account
    Y Y Paid
    Y N ?
    N Y ?
    N N ?

The issue that I have is that not only are my factors discrete (Y/N), my response is discrete as well (Paid/Not Paid). I am having difficulty finding an example of how to conduct a DOE with a discrete (binomial) response.

After some researching I am starting to believe I need to run multiple trials for each treatment. For example running multiple instances of: Letter Yes / Call Yes treatment so that I can obtain a resulting proportion (example: 4 of 7 customers treated in this manner paid - 57%), I have seen some places that there are suggestions to run np>5 number of treatments. If in this instance if I expect 70% proportion of people to pay, then I believe I may need to run n=5/.7=(7 to 8) trials of each treatment.

Can anyone advise if I am on the right track?

I have searched numerous six sigma and DOE references and haven't been able to reach a definitive conclusion. Is there anyone out there that could advise me or provide a similar example or book that may assist me with a discrete response DOE?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2010 #2
    You have 3 factors , i.e. letter, sms, and call, to control the incidences of get paid. Each factor has 2 level, yes/no. So you have 2x2x2=8 different treatments.

Say you decide to trial 80 customers, there are random 10 customers for each treatment. Resulting a data set of 80 rows, 4 columns. 3 columns indicate the factor used, and the last column indicates the payment.

Use ANOVA you can study the significance of the factors and their interactions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook