Disney World PF Gathering and Tips for Disney Mania!

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: This couscous and tagine restaurant is quite popular and usually has a long wait. Try coming at night when it’s less crowded.9. Yacht Club at the Epcot resort – This club has a beautiful view of the fireworks show at Epcot. However, this is a “resort” so it’s quite pricey. You may be able to get in if you call the club in advance and ask if there are any openings.10. The Living Seas – Usually there are long lines for this aquarium, but it’s worth the wait. You get to see all kinds of neat fish and amphibians.
  • #2,556
Primeval Whirl

This is the much-maligned ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Disney purists are aghast that there's a "carnival" type attraction with barely any themeing at a Disney theme park.

I agree that the themeing is weak, and it appears that they didn't put too much effort into making this a better attraction (not just a ride). Still, it's a fun ride, and I'm guessing that Moonbie also had a good time on it when she got on it last January. There have been guests who complained that the ride was rather uncomfortable. We never had that problem.

In any case, this is a ride-through video of http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1845893619298532656" at Disney's Animal Kingdom that we videotaped last June, 2006. WARNING though: if you are very susceptible to motion sickness, you may NOT want to watch too much of this video. This is because, due to the nature of the ride, there's a lot of camera motion and spinning actions.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,557
First we had a baby elephant. Now, http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest.asp?I1=ID&I2=1453" was born at Disney's Animal Kingdom!

Click on the picture in that link. Isn't that just the cutest thing you've ever seen (besides your children of course, if you have any)?

• #2,558
New 2007 Disney Stamps

New http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sns-ap-stamps-2007,0,5831083.story" for 2007 have been announced.

The art of magic stamps featuring Disney characters Dumbo and Timothy Mouse, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell, Mickey Mouse as "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," and Aladdin and Genie.

Zz.

• #2,559
Disney is having quite a challenge in http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005294160" the upcoming Mel Gibson's movie Apocalypto.

So let's try this informal poll. Would you, knowing what has transpired with Mel Gibson's recent debacle, see this movie? Or does his problem completely irrelevant to your decision whether to see Apocalypto or not?

Zz.

• #2,560
Walt Disney World Trivia

Hey, take this http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/breakroom/stories/102506brtrivia.6e50efa0.html" and see how well you score. It actually is a multiple choice, and they're not asking something that only die-hard Disney fans would know.

I'll admit, I got one question wrong! <hangs head in shame>

Zz.

• #2,561
Hi,
I'll be visiting WDW Florida in November.
Are any of the parks or rides closed?
We were caught out last year because Blizzard Beach was closed for refurbishment.
I've also lost all my links to sites that have Disney Park news, so if anyone can post the best I'd be extremely grateful.

• #2,562
Cybersteve said:
Hi,
We were caught out last year because Blizzard Beach was closed for refurbishment.
I've also lost all my links to sites that have Disney Park news, so if anyone can post the best I'd be extremely grateful.

You may want to start by looking at this website:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/rehabs.htm

In addition, you should also look at the WDW own website that will update any changes in the refurbishment dates:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...ng/index?id=CalendarRefurbishmentsListingPage

Have a very good trip. Please post pictures if you can during, or after your trip.

Zz.

• #2,563
Thank you for the links ZapperZ - It looks like Blizzard Beach will be closed again.
We will have internet access whilst we're over there, so if I'm not to busy I'll certainly post some pictures, otherwise it will have to wait till we get back.

• #2,564
I went to Blizzard Beach a few years ago in October. I guess it must have been a warm October down there.

• #2,565
Stevedye56 said:
I went to Blizzard Beach a few years ago in October. I guess it must have been a warm October down there.

Of all the places that I've been to at WDW, the few places that I am not that familiar with are the water parks. I've been in Blizzard Beach just once (and even that was to hunt for pins, not to stay for the water rides), and never been in Typhoon Lagoon.

So for those of you who have been in the Disney water parks, do you find that there are enough excitement for you to stay there all day? Or do you spend a few hours doing all the ride, relaxing by the water, and then spend the rest of the day at another location?

Zz.

• #2,566
ZapperZ said:
Of all the places that I've been to at WDW, the few places that I am not that familiar with are the water parks. I've been in Blizzard Beach just once (and even that was to hunt for pins, not to stay for the water rides), and never been in Typhoon Lagoon.

So for those of you who have been in the Disney water parks, do you find that there are enough excitement for you to stay there all day? Or do you spend a few hours doing all the ride, relaxing by the water, and then spend the rest of the day at another location?

Zz.

Yes they are very entertaining. Especially typhoon lagoon. They have a shark reef that is very very interesting to see. I went through it at least 3 times. The waterslides are very cool because there is such a variety. There should be plenty to do if not you could always go to Disney Quest:biggrin:

• #2,567
We love the water parks but it can be very tiring after 2 or 3 hours.
We tend to go early in the morning, then back to the resort for lunch, then off to one of the theme parks for the afternoon and evening firework displays.
I suppose you could stay at a water park all day if you spend some time lounging around but the rides are too tempting for us, It's a long hike up the stairs, especially if you're going on Summit Plummit!

It's also good to go late afternoon sometimes. If there is a thunderstorm they close the rides and many people go home.

When the rides are re-opened the queues have all disappeared!

• #2,568
Cybersteve said:
It's also good to go late afternoon sometimes. If there is a thunderstorm they close the rides and many people go home.

When the rides are re-opened the queues have all disappeared!

Great point. I had the same experiance. I walked on every slide. Also on the colder days less people will want to go. What is considered cold down there in october is pretty warm up here in CT usually.

• #2,569
I didn't know that they had a shark reef at Typhoon Lagoon. That in itself is a good reason to finally make a trip there. I have at least 6 "plus" entries from my old entrance tickets left (before we started buying annual passes). So looks like on the next trip, we might go to Typhoon Lagoon.

BTW, the Disney Quest that's in Downtown Disney might be gone soon. That last of its breed, that part of Disney (which has been a complete failure) will be turned into another ESPN Zone.

Zz.

• #2,570
If you do go to Typhoon Lagoon you've got to try Crush 'n' Gusher!
Its like a combination of a water slide and a roller coaster.

• #2,571
ZapperZ said:
I didn't know that they had a shark reef at Typhoon Lagoon. That in itself is a good reason to finally make a trip there. I have at least 6 "plus" entries from my old entrance tickets left (before we started buying annual passes). So looks like on the next trip, we might go to Typhoon Lagoon.

BTW, the Disney Quest that's in Downtown Disney might be gone soon. That last of its breed, that part of Disney (which has been a complete failure) will be turned into another ESPN Zone.

Zz.

NO! I can't believe it! That was the best place there (in my opinion) There was so much advanced arcade games there. I can't udnerstand why there would be an ESPN Zone taking its place! I might need some time to let this sink in :cry: . Oh well there's plenty to see at Disney World but the waterparks are not fun on the hot days. Even though you may be cold it may do you good to go on a cooler day. You could walk on any ride you wanted to. It's really worth it. The shark reef as i said before was amazing. I just couldn't get used to that snorkel, and took a mouthful the first time through :smile: :smile: :smile:

• #2,572
Stevedye56 said:
NO! I can't believe it! That was the best place there (in my opinion) There was so much advanced arcade games there. I can't udnerstand why there would be an ESPN Zone taking its place! I might need some time to let this sink in :cry: . Oh well there's plenty to see at Disney World but the waterparks are not fun on the hot days. Even though you may be cold it may do you good to go on a cooler day. You could walk on any ride you wanted to. It's really worth it. The shark reef as i said before was amazing. I just couldn't get used to that snorkel, and took a mouthful the first time through :smile: :smile: :smile:

You are probably the only person that I know of who actually liked Disney Quest! :)

So far, the rumor of its demise is pretty strong (i.e. more than a few cast members have heard of it from different sources). They are also not putting in anything new, nor pushing it anymore over there.

As for the shark reef, do you need to make a reservation or any arrangements to snorkel in it? I know of a couple of people who would love to do snorkeling in such a thing. I suppose I could look it up, but it's a lot better asking someone who has done it.

Zz.

• #2,573
There's no need for a reservation at the Shark Reef. I tried it but as it was the first time I'd snorkeled I panicked a bit. It didn't help that I have a moustache and the mask didn't seal properly.
I was swimming for dear life and all I could hear was the life guards telling me not to kick my feet!

• #2,574
Cybersteve said:
There's no need for a reservation at the Shark Reef. I tried it but as it was the first time I'd snorkeled I panicked a bit. It didn't help that I have a moustache and the mask didn't seal properly.
I was swimming for dear life and all I could hear was the life guards telling me not to kick my feet!

That's good to know. I'm not into snorkeling, but I know a few who do, and they may want to do this. I would be more than happy to just walk around, take pictures, and do some shopping.

:)

BTW, Cybersteve and Stevedye56, how often do you go to WDW? Do you have a particular time of the year that you tend to go?

Zz.

• #2,575
I've been twice and it was in the October month. This is a great time to go. You will not have to deal with the "summer crowd" and you get in before the "Christmas crowd" tends to hit. I still can't believe Disney Quest. I could have spend a few days in there. You could design your own roller coaster and then ride it! I mean that was increadibly cool to me. Oh well times come and go.

• #2,576
My usual trips are in June (crazy time of the year), and early Sept. (my most favorite). The early Sept. is also quiet since school vacations are over. Next year, we're still doing the June trip, but will move the Sept. trip to later in the month since I want to do Mickey's Not So Scarry Halloween Party (never done that before).

I've been trying to get people on here together to do a PF Gathering at WDW. Do you think it'll work? :)

Zz.

• #2,577
ZapperZ said:
My usual trips are in June (crazy time of the year), and early Sept. (my most favorite). The early Sept. is also quiet since school vacations are over. Next year, we're still doing the June trip, but will move the Sept. trip to later in the month since I want to do Mickey's Not So Scarry Halloween Party (never done that before).

I've been trying to get people on here together to do a PF Gathering at WDW. Do you think it'll work? :)

Zz.

As long as there's high speed internet down there to hook up to PF on a laptop :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• #2,578
OK, so I made this myself (that's why it looks amateurish), but Happy Halloween to all Disney Mania readers!

halloween-1.jpg

Zz.

• #2,579
Gorgeous http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-300.asp" of Halloween day and night around Walt Disney World resorts.

This is why I plan on delaying my Sept. trip next year to late Sept. so that I will not miss the Halloween decorations and festivities.

Zz.

• #2,580
Cybersteve said:
Hi,

Cybersteve, in case you missed this:

WDW said:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for routine maintenance beginning with an early 5:00 p.m. close on Tuesday, November 14 through Wednesday, November 15. The attraction will reopen to Guests on Thursday, November 16.

Zz.

• #2,581
ZapperZ said:
It's no surprise that I love, LOVE the Dumbo ride. Yet, I barely have any video of it (except when Moobie and I were there last January) till now. We videotaped this ride at Disneyland, CA this past May/June during our Mini Grand Tour trip. Try to spot the golden dumbo (as if you can miss it), which was part of their Golden Anniversary celebration (both Integral and I have posted pictures of it on here).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7371377135616669749&hl=en"

Zz.

I have uploaded the Walt Disney World version of the http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6606650604645919173" , so you can view both and compare.

On a related note, they will be releasing a jumbo pin of the Dumbo ride on Nov. 5th, and it's a gorgeous one! This is part of a series of jumbo pins celebrating 50 years of Disney theme parks.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10929426.jpg

Zz.

• #2,582
Hi ZapperZ,
Thanks for the information about Big Thunder Mountain.
We have conversed before on this forum about my trips to WDW, I think it must have been about 1 year ago.
I think this will be our sixth trip to Florida in 8 years and we expect to go at least once a year from now on.
We usually stay at Old Key West where my sister-in-law has points.
This year however we've decided to save the points (for a Grand Villa next year perhaps) and we are renting a 5 bedroom villa.
My sister-in-law is also thinking of buying a villa herself.

This year we are an adults only party and I think we might not spend as much time at Disney as we usually do. There are so many other things to see and do in Florida but because we always pre-buy our Disney tickets we tend to spend most of our time at Disney.
So we've decided to use up all our existing leftover days on our old tickets and then see what else Florida has to offer.
We're also hiring at least one car so we should save a fortune on taxi fares and I'm absolutely determined to get to the Space centre!

• #2,583
ZapperZ said:
Cybersteve, in case you missed this:

Zz.

Hmmm. That ride always seems to be breaking. 2 weeks before i went last time it was closed because someone died on it. That didnt stop me from going on it though. It was an awesome ride:biggrin:

• #2,584
Cybersteve said:
Hi ZapperZ,
Thanks for the information about Big Thunder Mountain.
We have conversed before on this forum about my trips to WDW, I think it must have been about 1 year ago.
I think this will be our sixth trip to Florida in 8 years and we expect to go at least once a year from now on.
We usually stay at Old Key West where my sister-in-law has points.
This year however we've decided to save the points (for a Grand Villa next year perhaps) and we are renting a 5 bedroom villa.
My sister-in-law is also thinking of buying a villa herself.

This year we are an adults only party and I think we might not spend as much time at Disney as we usually do. There are so many other things to see and do in Florida but because we always pre-buy our Disney tickets we tend to spend most of our time at Disney.
So we've decided to use up all our existing leftover days on our old tickets and then see what else Florida has to offer.
We're also hiring at least one car so we should save a fortune on taxi fares and I'm absolutely determined to get to the Space centre!

I'm guessing that that means that Old Key West is your sister-in-law's home resort. She must have bought into the DVC very early on then. Ours is almost next door to that, at Saratoga Springs. However, last Sept., we stayed at OKW for the first time. It was a very pleasent experience. The only thing we missed was not being able to walk to Downtown Disney, something you can do at SS.

In any case, after your November trip (when is it exactly anyway?), if you're planning on coming again next year, let me know when you have it planned. Who knows, I might pop up during that time too if I can swing it. :)

Stevedye56 said:
Hmmm. That ride always seems to be breaking. 2 weeks before i went last time it was closed because someone died on it. That didnt stop me from going on it though. It was an awesome ride

There's a lot of rehab going on especially during the "slow" part of the year. Thunder Mountain Railroad typically shuts down once or twice a year for its regular maintenance. I think the one you are referring to with that unfortunately incident is at Disneyland.

BTW, have you been on both Thunder Mountains at WDW and Disneyland? If you haven't, check my video of both rides.

Zz.

• #2,585
We arrive on 7th November and leave 21st November.
Two years ago the main pool at OKW was closed whilst they built the water slide and we had to use the pool at Saratoga Springs. We were quite impressed with SS and were shown around by one of the sales reps.
We couldn't decide whether to buy into SS or to buy more points at OKW, in the end we did neither and we're still trying to make up our minds.

I've no idea when we'll be going next year, when we first started visiting WDW it was in early September but each subsequent year we seem to be going later and later, I've no idea why.
Next year we'll probably be bringing 3 or 4 kids with us, so the school holiday dates will play a role in our plans.

• #2,586
Cybersteve said:
We arrive on 7th November and leave 21st November.
Two years ago the main pool at OKW was closed whilst they built the water slide and we had to use the pool at Saratoga Springs. We were quite impressed with SS and were shown around by one of the sales reps.
We couldn't decide whether to buy into SS or to buy more points at OKW, in the end we did neither and we're still trying to make up our minds.

I've no idea when we'll be going next year, when we first started visiting WDW it was in early September but each subsequent year we seem to be going later and later, I've no idea why.
Next year we'll probably be bringing 3 or 4 kids with us, so the school holiday dates will play a role in our plans.

OK, please, please, please tell me that you are going to attend the Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party! I would love to see pictures from that!

When I was at WDW this past early Sept., there were a lot of guests from the UK. I spoke to one of them, and they said that it was the best time for them to come over because (i) the US schools are back in session so the parks are not going to be busy and (ii) the UK schools do not open till mid Sept., so they have about 2 weeks holiday left. So that was the perfect time for them to go if they have school-age kids.

And yes, the water slide at OKW is fully built and fully used, from what I could see, shown below:
IMG_4742.jpg

This was taken very early in the morning before the pool opened.

Zz.

• #2,587
I think you must have been on this bridge when you took your photograph.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/SHendrix_photos/?action=view&current=OKWpool.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

• #2,588
Yup! I was exactly on that bridge.

Hey cybersteve, would you be willing to be a spy for me? :)

If you will, I have a simple task for you. It appears that there is a very juicy rumor that a new attraction is being built at Disney-MGM Studios. It is rumored to be something called "http://www.mgmstudios.org/midway.html" for some of the technology!

So your task, if you choose to accept it, is to take PICTURES, lots of pictures, of what you can see while you're there, including the boarded-up area, construction equipments, etc. Hopefully you remember where the old Who Wants to Be A Millionaire building was so you know where to take the pictures. I haven't seen anyone else posting pictures on this, so yours could be the first ones!

Zz.

• #2,589
I accept the challenge!

I think I can remember the location, we always tried our luck but as some of the questions are US biased we never got too far!

I wonder if there are any high vantage points that might enable me to peek over the hoardings?

• #2,590
That water looks really really cool completely still. Its just waiting to get disturbed by the little kids, just kidding. It would be cool to put one drop in and take pictures.