Displacement of mass fired by a slingshot problem

In summary, the ball is fired upward using the tension in the elastic. The ball will stop rising when all of its kinetic energy has been converted into potential energy.
vodkasoup

Homework Statement

A catapult (slingshot) is used to fire a ball of mass 0.2kg vertically into the air. The elastic is stretched so that there is a tension of 40N in both 'sides' of the slingshot, ie on the elastic on either side of the mass (I am trying to describe a diagram here, so please bear with me...). The angle between the mass and each side of the elastic is 50 degrees. The mass is drawn back a distance of 0.1m.

The question asks me to find how high the ball will travel after being released, assuming the tension in the elastic remains constant.

Homework Equations

F=ma

Equations of motion?

Kinetic/potential energy equations?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a right-angled triangle with a side of 0.1m opposite to the hypotenuse. From this I have reasoned that the force used to draw back the mass equals the sum of the vertical components of the two tensions, ie 2 times 40cos(50 degrees). This is therefore the force used to fire the mass.

From this I can figure out the vertical acceleration using F=ma. Although I am unsure if I should subtract gravity from F in this calculation. I know that the ball will cease to rise when the vertical acceleration equals the force downwards due to gravity. But I am unsure of how to get this value.

Thanks for any help given.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi vodkasoup! :smile:
vodkasoup said:
I know that the ball will cease to rise when the vertical acceleration equals the force downwards due to gravity.

no no no!

acceleration has nothing to do with it

when the ball leaves the catapult, the only force on it is gravity, so the acceleration is a constant, -g

when the ball ceases to rise, its acceleration is still -g
… This is therefore the force used to fire the mass.

From this I can figure out the vertical acceleration using F=ma. Although I am unsure if I should subtract gravity from F in this calculation.

yes, to find the acceleration (using F = ma), you must always use all the forces

however, that only gives you the instantaneous acceleration …

as the ball rises (still on the elastic), the acceleration decreases, doesn't it? :wink:

so you'd have to use an integral if you used acceleration

for that reason, use conservation of energy instead :smile:

Hello tiny-tim!

Thanks for your reply, and please excuse my rudeness in taking so long to reply back.

Ah, it seems I have been a bit silly with this one. So I use the energy, or work, done by the catapult from the point when the string is released to the point where the ball leaves the string ( W = F x d = 51.4N x 0.1m = 5.14J , assuming my earlier calculation of force is correct).

The ball will stop rising when all of its kinetic energy has been converted into potential energy, which will equal the energy used to fire the ball (due to the principle of conservation of energy). So at the zenith of its rise, the potential energy of the ball will be 5.14 joules.

So E(p) = mgh ,

Therefore h = E / mg = the answer :)

Gosh, I really need to learn how to use LaTex...

hello vodkasoup! :smile:
vodkasoup said:
So I use the energy, or work, done by the catapult from the point when the string is released to the point where the ball leaves the string ( W = F x d =

no, same difficulty

the force in the elastic is not constant, you'd have to find ∫ F.dx if you used the force

sooo … same solution

use the energy formula for a spring (not the force formula) :wink:

Hi again!

I think, for the introductory course I'm doing, the instructor setting the questions has given the force in the elastic as constant and then neglected to mention it...as the answer I get from using the above is correct, and Hooke's Law etc hasn't been covered.

I shall bear it in mind for the future, though!

Thanks again :)

Related to Displacement of mass fired by a slingshot problem

1. How does the mass of the projectile affect its displacement when fired from a slingshot?

The mass of the projectile does not directly affect its displacement when fired from a slingshot. However, a heavier projectile may have a greater initial velocity, which can affect its overall displacement due to factors such as air resistance and gravity.

2. What factors influence the trajectory of a projectile fired from a slingshot?

The trajectory of a projectile fired from a slingshot is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle at which it is fired, air resistance, and gravity. The mass and shape of the projectile can also play a role in its trajectory.

3. How does air resistance affect the displacement of a projectile fired from a slingshot?

Air resistance can significantly impact the displacement of a projectile fired from a slingshot. As the projectile moves through the air, it experiences drag, which slows it down and can cause it to deviate from its intended path. This can result in a shorter displacement than expected.

4. Can the displacement of a projectile fired from a slingshot be accurately predicted?

While the displacement of a projectile fired from a slingshot can be estimated using mathematical equations and taking into account various factors, it may not always be entirely accurate. Factors such as air resistance and variations in initial conditions can affect the actual displacement of the projectile.

5. How can the displacement of a projectile fired from a slingshot be measured?

The displacement of a projectile fired from a slingshot can be measured using various methods, such as using a measuring tape to measure the horizontal distance traveled or a motion sensor to track its position over time. It is important to take into account any factors that may affect the measurement, such as air resistance or uneven terrain.