Disproving Velocity's Effect on Space-Time

In summary: The amount of shear depends on velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that velocity must curve space-time because of phenomena such as time dilation. The conclusion is that space-time does not actually curve with increased velocity, but instead compresses in all four dimensions equally. This is in line with the principle of relativity, which states that straight lines in one inertial frame map to straight lines in another inertial frame. The Lorentz transform is not a compression, but a shear, and the amount of shear depends on velocity. Additionally, it is noted that time dilation only occurs to objects within the object traveling at relativistic speeds, and there is no curving of space-time induced by increased velocity. Finally, an interesting thought experiment is
stevedgarcia
For the past few weeks, I've been struggling with the idea that velocity must curve space-time because of phenomena such as time dilation. Initially, I believed that because time is a component of space-time, through the phenomena of time dilation, velocity must curve space-time. I think I reasoned my way out though. Let me know if I fouled up somewhere.

1) Travelling at relativistic speeds contracts space by a speed dependent factor (namely, the Lorentz factor)
2) Travelling at relativistic speeds dilates time by a speed dependent factor (namely, the Lorentz factor)
3) Therefore, traveling at relativistic speeds contracts space and time by the same factor
4) Thus, space-time does not curve with increased velocity, but instead, it compresses in all 4 dimensions equally in a way

Furthermore, time dilation occurs only to objects within the object traveling at relativistic speeds. So, there is no (1/r^2) or any such field parameter felt by surrounding objects. Therefore, there is no curving of space-time induced by increased velocity.

Earlier, when I was trying to figure what the hell I was thinking about, I read a post about this topic. Somebody posted an interesting thought experiment:

"Now here is an interesting thought experiment. Imagine a train on a long straight horizontal monorail that is suspended from springs that directly measure the weight of the train and the rail. When the train is accelerated to the same velocity as the bullet in the OP [relativistic velocity] will the track scales directly measure the train to be 7 time heavier?"

I believe the answer is no for the reasons stated above. Also, it's interesting to consider whether, due to contraction and all, would the train even be able to stay on the track. I think not.

Physics news on Phys.org
stevedgarcia said:
Thus, space-time does not curve with increased velocity, but instead, it compresses in all 4 dimensions equally in a way
You are correct that spacetime does not curve due to velocity. This is actually part of the meaning of the principle of relativity. Straight lines in one inertial frame map to straight lines in another inertial frame, not curved lines.

However, the Lorentz transform is not a compression, but rather a shear. A unit cube of spacetime is not mapped to a smaller or larger cube, but a rhomboid.

1. How does velocity affect space-time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, velocity does not directly affect space-time. Instead, it is the curvature of space-time that is influenced by the presence of massive objects.

2. Can velocity be used to disprove the existence of space-time?

No, velocity cannot be used to disprove the existence of space-time. The concept of space-time has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments and observations.

3. Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light and warp space-time?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the possibility of traveling faster than the speed of light or warping space-time. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel.

4. Are there any experiments that have disproven the effects of velocity on space-time?

No, there have been no experiments that have successfully disproven the effects of velocity on space-time. In fact, numerous experiments have provided evidence for the theory of relativity and the effects of velocity on space-time.

5. Can the concept of space-time be tested and proven?

Yes, the concept of space-time can be tested and proven through various experiments and observations. The theory of relativity, which includes the concept of space-time, has been extensively tested and verified by scientists.