How Far Does an Electron Travel Before Returning in an Electric Field?

• Thread starter Zarrey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the distance an electron will travel before coming back when initially 1.0 cm away from a long, thin straight line of charge with a constant charge density of 2.0 pC/cm. The use of conservation of energy and Gauss' theorem were mentioned in finding the field and using the work-energy theorem to solve the problem. The relevance of mass in the formulas for kinetic and potential energy was also discussed.
Zarrey

Homework Statement

A very long, thin straight line of charge has a constant charge density of 2.0 pC/cm. An electron is initially 1.0 cm from the line and moving away ( that is, perpendicular to the line ) with a speed of 1000 km/s. How far does the electron go before it comes back?

i can't seem to find the required equations in my textbook. any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zarrey! :smile:
Zarrey said:
A very long, thin straight line of charge has a constant charge density of 2.0 pC/cm. An electron is initially 1.0 cm from the line and moving away ( that is, perpendicular to the line ) with a speed of 1000 km/s. How far does the electron go before it comes back?

Use conservation of energy. :wink:

(same for your other thread)

wow lol. i can't believe i didnt know that. thank you for reminding me :D

Conservation of energy is different when dealing with electrons it seems. is mass relevent?

First, you need to find the field around the line of charge as a function of distance. Gauss' theorem wil do nicely do to the symmetry.
Then you can use the work-energy theorem.

Zarrey said:
Conservation of energy is different when dealing with electrons it seems.

no
is mass relevent?

mass always comes into the KE formula

mass is also relevant if it comes into the PE formula

FAQ: How Far Does an Electron Travel Before Returning in an Electric Field?

What is the definition of distance an electron traveled?

The distance an electron traveled is the total length or path covered by an electron as it moves from one point to another within an electric field or circuit.

How is the distance an electron traveled measured?

The distance an electron traveled can be measured using various methods such as by calculating the speed of the electron and the time it takes to travel, or by using specialized instruments like a cathode ray oscilloscope.

What factors affect the distance an electron traveled?

The distance an electron traveled can be affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the material through which it is traveling, and the presence of other particles or obstacles that may impede its movement.

What is the unit of measurement for the distance an electron traveled?

The unit of measurement for the distance an electron traveled is typically in meters (m) or centimeters (cm). In some cases, it may also be measured in nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm).

Is the distance an electron traveled affected by the charge of the electron?

Yes, the distance an electron traveled can be affected by the charge of the electron. Electrons with higher charges will typically travel further than those with lower charges, assuming all other factors remain constant.

Back