1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between point and set

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    \in1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Denote by d(x,A) = inf |x-y|,y [itex]\in[/itex] A, the distance between a point x [itex]\in[/itex] R^n and a set A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] R^n. Show

|d(x,A)-d(z,A)| [itex]\leq[/itex] |x-z|

In particular, x → d(x,A) is continuous

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea on how to prove this. I drew a picture and the result seemed intuitive but I don't know how to prove it mathematically.

Appriciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For closed sets, this is easy to show with the triangle inequality. For general sets, I would try to apply the same argument for a converging series of elements of A.

4. Aug 10, 2013 #3
    Ah yes! I actually tried the triangle inequality but failed. I am going to try again!

Could you please elaborate some more on the second part? I have been stuck on similar questions because I do not understand this argument.

5. Aug 10, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If there is no y in A such that d(x,A)=d(x,y), there is a sequence yi such that d(x,yi) converges to d(x,A) (for i->infinity).

6. Aug 12, 2013 #5
    Thank you! I got it right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted