Distance between point and set

• Thread starter saxen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of distance between a point and a set and how to prove its continuity. It is shown that for closed sets, this can be easily proven using the triangle inequality, while for general sets, one can apply a similar argument with a converging series of elements in the set. Additionally, it is mentioned that if there is no element in the set that is equal to the distance, then there exists a sequence of elements that converges to the distance.
saxen
\in

Homework Statement

Denote by d(x,A) = inf |x-y|,y [itex]\in[/itex] A, the distance between a point x [itex]\in[/itex] R^n and a set A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] R^n. Show

|d(x,A)-d(z,A)| [itex]\leq[/itex] |x-z|

In particular, x → d(x,A) is continuous

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to prove this. I drew a picture and the result seemed intuitive but I don't know how to prove it mathematically.

Appriciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For closed sets, this is easy to show with the triangle inequality. For general sets, I would try to apply the same argument for a converging series of elements of A.

Ah yes! I actually tried the triangle inequality but failed. I am going to try again!

Could you please elaborate some more on the second part? I have been stuck on similar questions because I do not understand this argument.

If there is no y in A such that d(x,A)=d(x,y), there is a sequence yi such that d(x,yi) converges to d(x,A) (for i->infinity).

Thank you! I got it right.

1. What is the distance between a point and a set?

The distance between a point and a set is the shortest distance between the point and any point in the set. It is also known as the minimum distance or the closest distance.

2. How is the distance between a point and a set calculated?

The distance between a point and a set is calculated using the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between the coordinates of the point and the coordinates of the closest point in the set.

3. Can the distance between a point and a set be negative?

No, the distance between a point and a set cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the length of the shortest path between the point and the set.

4. What is the importance of calculating the distance between a point and a set?

Calculating the distance between a point and a set is useful in many areas, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. It can be used to solve optimization problems, determine the closest point to a given point, and measure the similarity between two sets.

5. How does the dimension of the set affect the distance between a point and a set?

The dimension of the set does not affect the distance between a point and a set. The distance is only dependent on the coordinates of the point and the closest point in the set, not on the number of dimensions of the set.