Calculating Distance on a 3D Complex Eisenstein Lattice

• Thread starter GmL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance between two vectors in a 3-dimensional complex Eisenstein lattice. The formula for finding the Euclidean distance between two real vectors is discussed, but it is mentioned that this does not apply in this case. Instead, the method of finding the distance between two vectors in a complex lattice is described, using the cross product and projection of vectors. The formula for the Euclidean distance between two points in Rm is also mentioned. Additional clarification is requested on how to take points and draw vectors for finding the distance between two points in a complex lattice.
GmL
Hi, all.

I am interested in finding the distance between two vectors in a 3-dimensional complex Eisenstein lattice.

Is it simply an extension of finding the Euclidean distance between two real vectors?

i.e. D=sqrt((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2+...+(n2-n1)^2)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
*Bump*

Anyone?

Thats the formula for magnitude of a vector. You got to tell me how they are oriented.

If you want to find distance between two paralle vectors, find the cross product of the two vectors which will give you a normal vector, pick points from each vector and make another vector from those points, then find the projection of the the new vector on to the normal vector. Get the magnitude of that projection. You have a distance between two parallel vectors, or any vectors that do not intersect. If they intersect the distance is zero because you have to pick the shortest distance, which is where they intersect, which has zero distance because they intersect.

I didn't quite mean the distance between two parallel vectors. I meant to say that the vectors denote a position in the real-complex plane (in three dimensions and given in terms of Eisenstein Integers). I know how to derive the distance between two vectors, but that does not help in this case.

The Euclidian distance between x = (x1, ..., xm) and y = (y1, ... , ym) in Rm is defined to be || x - y || = square root ( (x1 - y1)^2 + ... + (xm - ym)^2 )

hope you're still interested in that :)

can you please tell more specificly about the points you mentioned.how to take the points and to draw the vector from that point.
please help me i am interested to find distance between two points

What is the distance between two vectors?

The distance between two vectors is the length of the straight line connecting them. It is also known as the magnitude or norm of the vector.

How do you calculate the distance between two vectors?

The distance between two vectors can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

What is the significance of the distance between two vectors?

The distance between two vectors represents the magnitude of the difference between them. It is used in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in physics and engineering.

Can the distance between two vectors be negative?

No, the distance between two vectors is always a positive value. This is because it represents the length of the line connecting the two vectors, which cannot be negative.

How does the direction of the vectors affect the distance between them?

The direction of the vectors does not affect the distance between them. The distance is only determined by the magnitude of the difference between the vectors, not the direction in which they are pointing.