Distance cut in half infinitely (shooting an arrow at tree)

• Thread starter diiin00b
  • Start date
Continual "half-divisability"(sp?) portends an object never impacting with another.
This is inconsistent with reality.

Therfore, it must be false, or some new form of mathematics must account for that.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The crucial point here is that Mathematics is not Physics! Mathematically, you can have a sequence of line segments, each exactly half the length of the previous one. Physically, that cannot happen.

olivermsun
Science Advisor
Perhaps the paradox would stand in a universe where time and space could be infinitely divided but not in this one.

And it's my understanding that the Paradoxes were posed to challenge a philosophical view of the universe very much like what you describe.

The crucial point here is that Mathematics is not Physics! Mathematically, you can have a sequence of line segments, each exactly half the length of the previous one. Physically, that cannot happen.

OOOooo... I like that, Halls!!
Case closed.

Is that Zeno's paradox.

You are implying that the velocity of the arrow decreases dependant on some function of distance. These paradoxes are not really paradoxes at all - only math that has been taken out of context.

I think that pretty much answers my Zeno's Paradox don't understand thing to a point.

But on an alternative note it may have been an early precursor to the thought experiments that have been useful in so many ways throughout the history and future of our species, regardless of what the right answer is. Hmm, not much on the means, but maybe I understand a little more of the ends at least in my context.