Distance Learning: Physics 1st Yr Tips & Advice

• Thread starter djosey
  • Start date
In summary, Distance learning can be a great experience or a terrible experience- on the student side, it gives you access to courses you may not normally be able to take, as well as all of the social interaction normally present in a course. However, on the teaching side, distance learning gives me access to more students, but also increases my workload *a lot*.
djosey
Hey forum, so I'm doing my first year of physics through distance learning, with a french university. I was wondering if any of you had experiences with distance learning? Perhaps tips as to how learn effectively and not get distracted, or if it's a good option compared to traditional learning.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been on both sides of distance learning, and I have very mixed feelings about it.

Distance learning can be a great experience or a terrible experience- on the student side, it gives you access to courses you may not normally be able to take. If the course is set up well, you can also have all of the social interaction normally present in a course (discussions, question-and-answer sessions, etc). Alternatively, if you have problems with the software (what are you using? We use Blackboard), you are in for a lot of frustration.

On the teaching side, distance learning gives me access to more students. But it also increases my workload *a lot*- I may have to write 10 different emails/notes explaining the same concept over and over, when normally I only need to do that once in class. And if a student has access problems, that gets dumped on me even though I have no ability to fix the problem. I've had some minor issues with 'appropriate' discussions- as you know, people tend to behave online very differently than in person. Finally, there's the issue of academic honesty- how do I know you are actually taking the exam, as opposed to getting your buddy to take the exam?

If the instructor has taken the time to really set up a good curriculum, then you should treat the class just as if you were going to a classroom- there's the flexibility in terms of *when* you go, but you should devote your time and efforts just the same.

Andy, the way to make sure that someone's buddy does not take a test for him is to arrange testing conditions as physical meeting in a selected building in a selected room, testing to be done in-person.

That's one approach, sure. But that means I have to coordinate with some remote organization to provide the testing facility. It's not clear that's a workable solution for class that may have students scattered all over the continent (or located on different continents).

I am taking Calculus II and Intro to Computer Programming via distance learning this semester, so I can give you some of my experiences.

I find that I basically teach myself, which, I think, is a good thing in that by the time I am ready to take a quiz on something, I truly understand how it works as opposed to just having memorized a series of steps in problem solving. (I am using both Blackboard and WebAssign, btw; Blackboard I like, WebAssign not so much mainly due to syntax issues in answers.) Anyway, this and the ability to access the web anytime, anywhere makes distance learning a postive experience for me.

On the down side, when I come across something I just can't figure out, getting responses from the professors is a huge pain. Neither spent any time setting up the virtual learning sites, so we have no group chats, sessions, or anything like that. (In an Astronomy class I took this way, that wasnt the case, and the class was most enjoyable and I learned a ton!) Case in point: I sent an email to my programming professor asking a formatting question over a week before my last program submission was due. Never did get a response from her, but luckily, I finally figured it out for myself.

But in total, I enjoy taking classes this way. I work 50-odd hours a week, so the freedom to work on studies when I can is most beneficial.
Btw, we do have to go into the school test center to take tests, so that eliminates a lot of cheating possibilities. Hope this helps.

We're using a rather basic software, namely pen and paper! You receive lectures py post, and send assignments by post too. Well, plus some live test and lab sessions.

djosey said:
Hey forum, so I'm doing my first year of physics through distance learning, with a french university. I was wondering if any of you had experiences with distance learning? Perhaps tips as to how learn effectively and not get distracted, or if it's a good option compared to traditional learning.

First-year Physics through distance learning? Where is the laboratory section? How is this handled?

Basically, they send all lectures at the beginning of the year. Throughout the year you have to do some tests, and send them by post or sometimes email. In june you have "live" exam sessions. All lab classes are grouped during two weeks, in january and may, and are also live. Sounds like a good system?

djosey said:
Basically, they send all lectures at the beginning of the year. Throughout the year you have to do some tests, and send them by post or sometimes email. In june you have "live" exam sessions. All lab classes are grouped during two weeks, in january and may, and are also live. Sounds like a good system?

Let me ask again - Where is the laboratory section? Where is the location of the laboratory site? What is the equipment featured in the laboratory? How is the laboratory work handled?

What is distance learning?

Distance learning is a method of education where students and teachers are separated by physical distance and interact through online platforms such as video conferencing, online learning management systems, and email. It allows students to learn at their own pace and location while still receiving instruction and support from teachers.

Why is it important to study physics in the first year of distance learning?

Physics is a foundational science that provides the basis for understanding the physical world around us. It is important to study physics in the first year of distance learning as it lays the groundwork for more advanced topics and helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some tips for success in distance learning physics?

Some tips for success in distance learning physics include staying organized and keeping track of assignments and due dates, actively participating in online discussions and asking questions, seeking help from instructors and peers when needed, and setting aside dedicated study time.

What are some challenges of learning physics through distance learning?

Some challenges of learning physics through distance learning include limited access to lab equipment and hands-on experiments, potential technical difficulties with online platforms, and the need for self-motivation and discipline to stay on track with coursework.

How can I prepare for exams in distance learning physics?

To prepare for exams in distance learning physics, it is important to review class notes and materials regularly, practice solving problems and equations, and seek clarification on any confusing concepts. Additionally, using online resources and participating in virtual study groups can also be helpful in preparing for exams.